Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation?? >

I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation??

I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation??

Old 12-07-2013, 02:40 PM

I have been using fleece for years now to cover doors in the garage to help stop some of the cold. We have a door in the kitchen which goes directly into the garage. Man, is that ever cold. The fleece really does help. I also hang fleece between my drapes and the slider in the dining room. It has made a big difference. I am in the process of making quilt wall hangings to help insulate the walls. It's been very cold & we're feeling the cold as we get older. Hopefully, these quilts will help. I've never used plastic on windows, so I can't compare the plastic to the fleece.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Banned

Bed curtains on four poster beds. Books were published on the subject. Several years ago a long arm quilter published patterns for them.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 AM

LOL I always told my gals never to worry about how large their stash was - buy more cause it's great insulation! Great minds think in the same channel
Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 AM

Yes! Many moons ago quilts or blankets were hung over windows and doors in bedrooms to be used to keep the heat in or out. My in-laws lived in a sod house for a few years and it was quite cozy with a heating stove and she hung quilts or blankets over the bedroom doors to keep the heat in the main part of the house. I once had a book with patterns for making insulated "covers" that were quite attractive. Our houses now are warn enough with central heat that we don't need to do this. Besides I would never hang one of my treasured quilts as insulation, but I sure would part with a few blankets if need be.

Last edited by lclang; 12-08-2013 at 04:31 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 12-08-2013, 07:06 AM

In place of an actual quilt, I have styrofoam panels (from Home Depot) that I covered with decorator fabric. These slip into the windows at night to block the night's colder temps. They just "friction ft"- no hardware needed. They work so well that there is ice on the INSIDE panes of the sliders and windows! Removing the panels in daytime allows that moisture to evaporate back into the house, where the moisture originally came from.
As to the stash: storing it against an outside wall adds a layer of "insulation" between you and the wall- that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 AM

Years ago I read an article about window quilts in Countryside Magazine. Luckily, I found this link online:

http://www.countrysidemag.com/86-6/sue_robishaw/

The article gives a detailed description of the framework, which keeps the quilt close to the window frame. Much useful information in this article. If you have quilts you no longer use for your beds (like ones you made as a beginner), this would give new life to them.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:34 AM

I made some quilted curtains for the motor home. Really helped in cold Idaho visits.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

I could see where this would also work in the summer for those homes that only have Window A/C units.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 AM

years ago I made a few window quilts for some North facing windows. I used a product called "thin-su-late" I think that is how it is spelled. It was silver type material-no batting attached. I know you can now buy it with the batting already attached. Anyway, made my quilts the traditional way and added a layer of thinsulate. Used sticky Velcro to attach them to window frame. In the day time I just un Velcro-ed to let the sun in or left them up on dreary days. Make your quilts large enough to cover the frames of windows. What you are trying to achieve here is an air block that traps the cold air from the window between window and quilt. Works great.. Also good for drafty doors that don't get much use.. one of mine was the landscape that I would have seen out that window in the fall... (or you could do a happy SUMMER scene! ) Happy Quilting and STAY WARM....
Old 12-08-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
We have a drafty sliding door which I cover with a king sized quilt in the cold weather. It works very well, though you do have to watch for condensation from the glass dampening the fabric and then molding or mildewing. Maybe that's just our climate, but it's a sad way to damage a quilt.
I had a friend years ago that made a quilted sliding door cover, and put a "DriZair" unit between it and the glass for condensation. Worked great.