Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation?? >
  • I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation??

• I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation??

Old 12-08-2013, 05:54 PM

This topic brought back memories. Some years ago, I was watching a movie and the windows had curtain rods that were on hinges. You could fold the rod back against the wall if you wanted the window uncovered or bring it to cover the window. They had velvet draperies on the rods; but I thought at the time that quilts would be better insulation to keep out the cold. I have never used quilts on my windows but I can see where it would keep out the cold.
    Old 12-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Through the years, depending on where I lived, I have used quilts over doors and windows many times to conserve heat or cool air. It works as a temporary fix.
    Old 12-08-2013, 06:00 PM

I also thought of putting up a quilt on my french doors for the winter except it would block out my sunlight. My sewing room (quilt studio) is on north side of house and it has been a little chilly in eastern Washington lately. We did 16 inch block of the month with whatever fabric I had in my stash but haven't put it together, maybe there is a way I could make it so I could take it down on really sunny days.
    Old 12-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam
    All things old are new again! Wall hangings and quilts were used to insulate draft palaces and draft sod homes through much of history. Let us know how it works!

pam

Having lived most of my life in the highlands of Scotland and now the Appalachia's I totally agree ...old things new again
    Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM

I have a small quilt over my side of the bedroom window, to keep the chill off and to keep the sun off me as well, I love it, works great!
    Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by pasovasz
    As for the stash: storing it against an outside wall adds a layer of "insulation" between you and the wall- that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Here in Wisconsin, that stash would get all moldy and mildewed. I had a box of pictures against an outside wall of a closet with louvered doors. Next thing I knew they were all stinky. My daughter-in-law had boxes piled up against the walls for one winter. The walls were all black when she took them down. And this house has been newly resided, rewalled and very well insulated. I try to keep a little air circulating behind anything on the outside walls.
    Old 12-08-2013, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by pasovasz
    As to the stash: storing it against an outside wall adds a layer of "insulation" between you and the wall- that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    No joke, it does work. My studio now occupies the upstairs bedroom that my daughter used to use. The upper level of our house is not well insulated and her room would get very cold in the winter. Now I have wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling shelves on the south-facing outside wall. They are filled with fabric and it does insulate it very well. Moisture has never been a problem, thankfully.
    Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 AM

Why not they were used in medievil days as insulation as bed drapes and wall hangings here in the UK in their draughty Castles I don't live in a castle but this is what I have done this year, is working a treat. http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...s-t232912.html
    Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 AM

There have been a few times when we had ice storms here in Kentucky that left us without power for a few days. We used quilts to cover the doorways, since we were using a little propane heater, and it kept the heat in the living room where we were all congregated to stay warm. I know that DEFINITELY worked, but hadn't thought about using them to insulate windows all winter! :c)

Donna
    Old 12-09-2013, 12:42 PM

My husband doesn't mind my stash because I've stacked it along an outside wall of the house for years, and call it 'insulation.'