Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I knew better... >

I knew better...

I knew better...

Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 AM

Didn't sit on as ruler, but you all know those wicker trunks that you can use like a coffere table? Had one of those years ago, had a 1/4 piece of glass cut to fit on top, heavy glass. Well, dumb me backed up to it and sat down.Yep!! Darn thing broke right in half! I didn't realize the trunk lid didn't have flat even, supported base. But then, I always seem to to dumb things like that, so I'm use to it!!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:49 AM

We are amazing huh? Oh well, we learn and then we laugh. thank goodness you were not hurt! Happy Quilting!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:57 AM

That happened to me before too...my 6x24 ruler....broke just about exactly in half...used each half for a long time...but also did buy a new one...which I do still have after many years...so it was worth it to buy a new one.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:57 AM

That happened to me before too...my 6x24 ruler....broke just about exactly in half...used each half for a long time...but also did buy a new one...which I do still have after many years...so it was worth it to buy a new one.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Don't you just hate it when you're trying to do good (cleaning) and you do something bad. :roll: I can so relate! :oops:
Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by piepatch
Originally Posted by Tartan
but I was cleaning up my sewing area and leaned my 15 inch omnigrid ruler against the back of the chair. I ironed my blocks, went back to my machine and sat down to sew...... CRACK! I can't believe I broke my ruler. I have it taped together for now but I will be shopping for a new one, I guess. Don't you hate it when you do stupid things. :cry:
If it broke on an even line, save it and use it as a smaller ruler. My 24" ruler broke in half, on a perfectly even line, and now I have two smaller rulers, which I use often.
A glass shop can cut it down for you .... you could do the largest pieces possible ... or make an assortment of sizes that could be usable.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by sherriequilts
At least you know where it is and what happened to it. I used my slotted June Taylor ruler to cut all the strips for a log cabin quilt. Dear little ruler has been hiding from me ever since and that was in October. I don't know what I did to make it do that! Of course, if I buy (adopt!) another one, the first one will miraculously appear, probably in the middle of my bed, or bop me on the head, or . . . well, you know what I mean!
I hate it when that happens. My sewing machine is new so i'm still learning about it. A few weeks ago I needed to use the manuel to check on a stich setting and it was gone. I know where I had put it, but it was gone. I swear I searched room from top to bottom. Nothing. A few days later I was over looking for somthing else and happend to notice something down behind the dog crate, it was my book. Somehow it had fallen off the shelf and landed there. I was really glad to find it.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 AM

Don't forget your coupons and head to Joann's or Michaels.You can get them online as well. Hey we've all done something like that.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:49 PM

I've done that and since I cried my DH said I could get that and anything else I wanted. He is the best!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:05 PM

I also am a member of that "oh no" class this week. Went to a sew-in and left my cutting mat in my car, on edge behind the driver's seat. I was there about 3 hours and didn't take it out of the car because there were mats provided. Well....I am sick. My cutting mat...24x36 is now warped. Any ideas for restoring. Ironing? or leaving it in the sun lying flat? or? Help. Any ideas appreciated.