Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I know this is a dumb question, but.... >

I know this is a dumb question, but....

I know this is a dumb question, but....

Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 AM

I am planning on making a baby serger quilt. I was looking at the Bernina videos on The Quilt Show and came across a video I really liked, it's titled One Step Quilting. It shows how to make a reversible quilt, I thought it was neat. They were show how to make a bookcover, but it would work on a quilt as well. I thought it would be great for baby quilts. Nancy Zieman says that she uses a serger often to quilt with. I am a little confused by the post that state that it is very hard to make a 1/4 inch seam. When you use the serger for garment sewing, you have to keep a consistent seam allowance or your garment won't fit. If you have problems getting a accurate 1/4 inch seam, use a seam guide. That being said, it would be difficult to piece some quilt patterns with a serger, patterns that require you to stop a 1/4 inch from the end of the seam that would be hard. I have seen people make drunkard's path with a serger, turned out perfect. I think is a reluctance sometimes to embrace new tech. Don't be afraid to try new techniques. When I read some of the posts here, there seems to be a reluctance to try something new. I always think that's a little silly, it's just fabric. Experiment with the serger for yourself and see if you like using it. It's just some fabric, that's all you will have to lose. I love, love,love, to try new techniques,new patterns,to spread my wings and try new things. Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Eleanor Burns has whole videos on her website showing her doing it this way.
I think nancy zieman also has video on using serger for making quilts.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 AM

I have a pattern here that is made for surger construction. I am sure some patterns it would be very difficult, however I have been using a serger since the 80's for clothing and they are fantastic and if using larger peices and material ravels would be great.
I now surge all material I buy before washing it and it is great.

Last edited by Carol34446; 03-21-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Sergers aren't designed for seaming... they are designed for finishing seams. I wouldn't use them for seaming on clothes or quilts, because the stitching doesn't hold up to it. If you seam with just a serger, and then test that seam by pulling the two pieces apart, you will see the stitches. Serging just doesn't hold the two pieces together tight enough to please me-- especially not for quilt piecing.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

I've seen it done.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 AM

I have done some simple quilt tops that were just 4" squares and that came out okay; however the seams were a bit more bulky than the quilts that were sewn on a regular machine.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:09 AM

I do quilts for children's charities and often use the serger to put them together. It is fast and the seams are strong and hold up well when they get a lot of laundering.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM
QM
Power Poster

No. I would be concerned about extra bulk. Raveling should not be a problem if you use good fabric, keep your seams allowances accurate and quilt well. No honest questions are dumb.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 AM

I did a practice piece in my serger class when I got the machine but haven't tried it since. I have a seam guide for my serger and I am sure wit a bit of experiemntation I could get a 1/4" seam. I think it would be very strong for childrens' quilts. My serger has 24 stitches, one of them a security seam that is a strong seam with overcasting. I might have to try it when I get my sewing room set up again. I have used my serger very little because I don't really have room for it. We will be moving soon and I will have a large bedroom that will be both a guest room and my sewing room, so I will have room to have more than 1 machine set up.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:43 AM

sometimes I usethe serger after seaming just to prevent fraying on a really fray prone fabric. I do use the serger for simple square block pieces for heavy wear pieces like for animals. I love the wearability of the finished product.