Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Know That I have an Illness >

I Know That I have an Illness

I Know That I have an Illness

Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 PM

Once when I was looking for work I took a test at the local Job Service and they told me I would be an excellent sheet metal person. When I asked why they carefully explained that I was able to figure out what shape the sheet metal shapes would have when they were bent/folded. Imagine the surprise when I told them I did a lot of sewing and one piece looked exactly like a garment sleeve and another looked like an overall bib....I did not seek a job as a sheet metal person but have enjoyed telling the story. If you are tired of sewing you might try out at a sheet metal shop! HA
Old 06-13-2010, 09:09 PM

People who are not hooked on quilting don't always see the pattern and shapes that we do and will look at you funny when you tell about them. I once mentioned about the pattern in a tile floor and thought they might end up locking me away.Quilters have keen eyes for patterns and shades of color.Artists also have this same ability.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by D'Marie
People who are not hooked on quilting don't always see the pattern and shapes that we do and will look at you funny when you tell about them. I once mentioned about the pattern in a tile floor and thought they might end up locking me away.Quilters have keen eyes for patterns and shades of color.Artists also have this same ability.
Don't forget.......quilters ARE artists!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by pstoner
Ok so in the shop (work at an sheet metal, HVAC co.) and one piece of ductwork had such a beautiful design on it I thought wouldn't that be a wonderful piece of material?

I know many of us see clothes on people and would like to cut them into strips, pieces, triangles and squares....but sheet metal?

Is there a cure?
HAve you thot of taking pictures and transferring the design to material
Old 06-14-2010, 09:26 AM

And my family thought I was past gone when I suggested that the backdrop on The Price Is Right would be an easy scrappy quilt pattern! Can't wait to share your posts with them!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
And my family thought I was past gone when I suggested that the backdrop on The Price Is Right would be an easy scrappy quilt pattern! Can't wait to share your posts with them!
Ha! I saw it today and you're right!!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 AM

Don't know if there is one' but I really don't want it if there is.

I told my sister (when she told me I needed to get rid of some of my stash), tha I was a fabraholic and was not looking for a cure. :lol:
Old 06-14-2010, 10:35 AM

sounds like you should take a piece of that sheet metal and make a piece of art from it.
I bet you'd admire it for years to come.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by mountain deb
It is only getting worse. I think dh called the men in white coats, hmmm I do need some white sashing though. hehehehe
LMAO...took me a second but then I got it.....toooo Funny
Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 PM

My mom always found quilt inspiration in funny places. Once when we were driving past a flower shop she saw some large colorful butterflies dangling from strings in the window and she asked me if I would go in and ask to trace the outline of one of them so she could make a butterfly quilt. Well, i sort of waffled but I went in anyway and a young boy came to the counter and I asked if I could trace one of the butterflies. He looked absolutely shocked and sort of backed away like I might be dangerous. Then he said he would ask the boss. He disappeared behind a wall and I heard him say. "Some WOMAN is out her and wants to trace one of those butterflies in the window!" The boss stated that would be okay so he gave me a piece of paper and a pencil, being careful not to get within my reach and let me trace one. She cut out enough butterflies for two quilts, one for her and one for me. One of my favorite memories!