Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I know in my heart that this looks wrong--help! >

I know in my heart that this looks wrong--help!

I know in my heart that this looks wrong--help!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 AM

Why not add an appliqued border? A vine with hearts and flowers?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:20 AM

You appear to have the squares with the less busy backgrounds lined up. Perhaps if you interspersed these - even checker-board pattern, you may find the design works better. Failing that, some thin sashing and corner stones often marry a sampler together, provided you don't make them dominate. I like the bold colours, so keep up the effort as it looks worthwhile.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 AM

I see this has been going a while, but I'll put in my 'two penneth' ...... I would move the kings cross away from its left neighbour, but other than that, I don't think you get a real impression without the sashing. It will be great once that is done.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:51 AM
Swap Hosts

It looks just fine. I would just be sure that the floral print blocks are separated.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 AM

I can see the lighter red blocks are different and do stand out from the darker red blocks.
Have you tried putting these in the corners? Looks like it will still be too small for a bed quilt, looks like you need to make more blocks even with the borders. I am making a queensize quilt and I have 7 X 9 blocks.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 AM

my only thought is switch bottom left with the one above it, but I agree that she should just do the layout. Only other thought is could you do blue corners instead of red on that bottom left one?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:36 AM

Just looking at a glance, My inclination would be to try:
• the 4 X shapes in the corners.
• hearts center, second row
• star below hearts
• pinwheels on either side of the star
• diamond top center,
• churn dash bottom center
• the last two on either side of the hearts (their commonality are the center blocks)
This puts the geometry into perspective, distributes the weight, centers the heart, and avoids corner clashes. With your red sash, there will be no corner competition.

When we do this in retreats, everyone has a different idea, for different reasons. It all boils down to what you, or your DIL, likes.

Well, here is what I had in mind: (only the scan posted upside down)
Attached Thumbnails layout-idea-001.jpg  

Last edited by olebat; 01-03-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: scan clarification
Old 01-03-2012, 05:55 AM

I would put the heart in the center and anchor the corners with the 2 x blocks and the star and the diamond. Sashing will probably make a big difference in the way it all looks so try putting your sashing in. Also look at the top laying on a bed as it will be used. I was taught to layout your blocks putting the top the way it will be used eg- hang a wallhanging to place blocks ot lay the top on a bed to place blocks if it is to be a bed quilt. It really does make a difference in the way blocks look.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:56 AM

I'd move the heart piece toward the middle, and spread the blocks with the floral print around more, but actually, there isn't anything wrong with it to tell you truth. It's very nice.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 AM

You have four with 'inside' flowers. Try using those to mark the corners. If you hate the one with the large square, consider appliqueing a flower similar to the others, into its middle. Then use it in the center of the layout. Then work the others around, with the heart block in the center top as suggested. Separate the like blocks, such as the pointed ones.

Truthfully, all the blocks are beautiful and once you put the sashing on, I don't think you will have any problem with the layout. It will all go together and will be lovely.