Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I live with a smoker and cats...

I smoked for almost 30 years. I agree. I would not knowingly buy from someone who smokes. Depending on how much smoking is done around the fabric, it may be impossible to get out. There are certain types of batting and fabric that holds the smell. No one has smoked in my house in almost 7 years. Even then, it wasn't done in the house. Yes, just my car on the way to and from work. Never did it at home. Since my heart surgery in 2007 and blood clot in my lungs I can't be around smokers. I can't breathe. For me, it's a matter or life or death.

Blog Entries
    I believe every adult has the right to smoke but not around me or bring the smell to my home. I threw several blocks from a block swap away because they smelled of cigarette smoke. I wasn't about to waste my time washing the smell out. Just be honest and say from a smoker home.

I think you should go for it...set aside a smoke/pet free area and do all your work there.
    I am a non smoker, really bothered (asthma attacks) by some perfumes...it's not how much, it's the brand/ingredients I guess...My BIL smokes here on occasion...when he drives up...the sewing leaves the room.
    We have outdoor cats & 2 dogs...they are not in the quilt/sewing area...cats just adopted us one day.

I do quilting for others...I take tops from smokers and pet owners...and perfume wearers...which is the worst for me. I lay the top/backing over the quilter and spray them with frebreeze...and it actually takes out 99% of the wrinkles from shipping... I rarely have a problem with the odors.

Would I buy from a smoker, pet owner, perfume wearer? Yes, as long as the item is washable.

One other thing...don't expect to get rich selling your crafts...most will look, say they can do that and walk away...even though they can't. Ignore them ...they are probably going to not buy a single item from any crafter.
    Marge

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
    From the sound of it here most people wash fabric anyway when they get it so I wouldn't worry about it. Stuff you buy at the store stinks and we bring them home and wash it. Follow your dreams. Frebreeze it before you put it in the box and be who you are. People who are seriously sensitive always ask.

Lisa
    Your right, I've bought some clothing and it had a bad smell, never was able to get the smell out of the clothing so in the trash it went.

You can also wash and let drip dry outside I'm sure that would help too! As far as the cat, I don't have a cat but I do have dogs and I keep a lint remover handy when I'm swamping...

Quote Originally Posted by SUZAG
    I would love to make things and sell them but I am afraid that the smoke smell would linger. I would pre-wash my fabric and then wash again when finished and put into a large zip lock bag. I've heard storing things in plastic bags isn't a good thing to do either. Should I just give up on my ideas and only do things for myself?
    After you are done and wash it, store it in the garage or somewhere where no one smokes, and make sure you transport it in a car that is a non-smoking car. You can always air it out on a clothesline too. All these tips are from a former smoker...

I agree with Julie R....people are responsible to look after their own allergies so be honest, up front and they buyer will decide if they want to buy. Good luck.

In the olden days men used to have a smoking room and they would wear their smoking jackets and I guess that was for a reason. If you smoke and you have a room you can smoke in, good for you. Cats and smoke don't sell many items lol. I have three little dogs and Teddy likes to rummage through my scraps when they hit the floor, he is the only one that does that and it would just be on scaps that would remain with me...they all just had their weekly baths and shaves and clean bedding. I keep them very clean.

Anyway, my son is here for a couple months he smokes and so does my nephew and my sister when they visit from England....they smoke on the patio, outside. if it's cold they smoke in the garage, I make no exception, no smoke in the house ever.

Blog Entries
    I am sensitive to scents and recently was gifted with a used air purifier. It works fabulously! My husband and I love it.

You might want to check around for used ones and try one out. We will probably not be without one now.

Blog Entries
    When I've bought things from garage sales that smell like smoke, no amount of washing would get it all the way out. I can smell it from across the room. Same goes for the perfume, potpourri, etc mentioned above so I guess my nose is sensitive all around. I also use unscented detergent and no fabric softener.

Something to try would be bio-kleen bac out. It smells like citrus and you can add it to wash to remove smells from fabrics. I use it for some wash but I didn't have it back when I bought the smoke smelling things so I don't know if it would have worked on that.

I don't smoke and I hate the smell of smoke but I say give it try maybe no one will notice and if they do oh well.
    Smokers buy pretty things also.

Blog Entries
    Hi, I just have to say loved the "Sewed by a non-smoking cat"...

As to the original question, we don't smoke, and our beloved cat died 3 years ago this coming Labor day... :-(. I would think if you wish to make a quilt for others, you should do it! Then would make sure and state "smoking, and/or pets", just like I state "no smoking, and/or no pets"...that way everything is up front...I grew up in home with smokers, and I always hated it...and with the allergies of my dh and our son when he lived at home, there was/is never any smoking in our house. That being said, we make the rules for our house, just like others make the rules for theirs...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wanda lou
    I don't smoke and I hate the smell of smoke but I say give it try maybe no one will notice and if they do oh well.
    Smokers buy pretty things also.
    Maybe no one will notice?? If they do "oh well"?? Really? I guess if she's selling in person that would work but if someone buys something online, is not told it's from a smoker's home, and gets it and it smells like smoke, they probably will not be a repeat customer and won't recommend her items to anyone. That's bad business. :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I have had my migraines more or less under control for a lot of years, but even today I can not linger in the soap/cleanser/bleach/candle areas of grocery stores. I can smell it as soon as I walk in a few feet, so I know what I want and go straight to it and then leave.
    I have the same problem with the soap/detergent aisles AND I can't go in the aisle with the rubbermaid and sterilite storage. The plastic smell gives me a headache or sometimes a migraine every time. I have to literally hold my breath when we walk past those aisles.

I'm a smoker and have a dog..I also make thngs that sell from time to time..I've never had anyone complain about it..however I do wash what's going out and package it with a dryer sheet when it leaves me..also smoke inside..because I'm in Arizona and it's too hot not too..but my sewing room is upstairs and I smoke in the kitchen area only..with the exhaust fan on !!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodyWB
    I'm a smoker and have a dog..I also make thngs that sell from time to time..I've never had anyone complain about it..however I do wash what's going out and package it with a dryer sheet when it leaves me..also smoke inside..because I'm in Arizona and it's too hot not too..but my sewing room is upstairs and I smoke in the kitchen area only..with the exhaust fan on !!
    But do you disclose that information? To me, a dryer sheet would be only slightly less of a problem than smoke smell but still a huge problem. I bought some bounce sheets to try for repelling mosquitoes. I couldn't stand the smell so I put the box of dryer sheets in a ziploc bag and put it in the garage. I hated to throw it away. :roll: For a couple of weeks I could barely stand to go in the garage because all I could smell were those dryer sheets. I finally just threw them away. I can't even shop at goodwill or other resale shops or at garage sales because of the strong smell of fabric softener.

btw the mosquitoes don't seem to mind the smell.

Blog Entries
    I bought a bag of scraps at a quilt show. Got them home, opened them up and they very quickly went out to the garage to air out. Smell lingered for months. I didn't know how to wash scraps.
    How do you wash scraps?

Quote Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
    Keep your fabric and sewing equipment in a room with a door where the cat and the smoker won't go. That way you can go in there and sew without worrying about cat hair or smoke.
    Just a comment to this Jeaninmaine, even with the door shut I could still smell smoke on things my mom made. My dad smoked and wasn't allowed in her spare room where she had her hobbies. But it still smelled so I washed everything she sent. Smoke will permeate even those dang doors and walls. Not sure why that nicotine is so powerful!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I have had my migraines more or less under control for a lot of years, but even today I can not linger in the soap/cleanser/bleach/candle areas of grocery stores. I can smell it as soon as I walk in a few feet, so I know what I want and go straight to it and then leave.
    I have the same problem with the soap/detergent aisles AND I can't go in the aisle with the rubbermaid and sterilite storage. The plastic smell gives me a headache or sometimes a migraine every time. I have to literally hold my breath when we walk past those aisles.
    Gale, I am subject to migraines too. My husband was a smoker for a number of years, but not in the house. All I had to do was open the coat closet and I would go into a coughing fit. I also do not go to malls because of the perfume aisles. I can't go into carpet stores or bed stores because of the chemical smells. I would be very upset if I bought something and unknowingly got cat hair or smoke smell on it. I would not want to be responsible for someone having an asthma attack or worse. My dogs are not allowed in my sewing rooms. I am so sensitive that I have looked at handmade items at craft shows and could smell smoke on them. I even smelled smoke on a quilt at the Lancaster Quilt show; my DDIL couldn't smell it. Anyhow, off the subject. If you decide to sell your items, put a disclosure in the packaging.

OK I know I am going to make a lot of you mad but what about cats & dogs I did a swap awhile back when I got my 4x4 and opened it I thought she sent me her litter box.I cant stand to go to some ones house an all you smell is cat or dog. Please dont be mad but bad smalls are just that and we have to live with it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    Quote Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
    Keep your fabric and sewing equipment in a room with a door where the cat and the smoker won't go. That way you can go in there and sew without worrying about cat hair or smoke.
    Just a comment to this Jeaninmaine, even with the door shut I could still smell smoke on things my mom made. My dad smoked and wasn't allowed in her spare room where she had her hobbies. But it still smelled so I washed everything she sent. Smoke will permeate even those dang doors and walls. Not sure why that nicotine is so powerful!!
    The reason you can still smell it is because it is on the smokers clothes and in his/her pores. When they walk from room to room they are taking the smoke and tar with them. It's not the nicotine, its the tar and the smoke. My parents were smokers and I spent most of my childhood sick with allergies and migraines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon
    OK I know I am going to make a lot of you mad but what about cats & dogs I did a swap awhile back when I got my 4x4 and opened it I thought she sent me her litter box.I cant stand to go to some ones house an all you smell is cat or dog. Please dont be mad but bad smalls are just that and we have to live with it.
    I agree about the dog and cat smells. But smoking is about more than the smell, it is a health hazard to everyone, not just the smoker. Many people are allergic to animals. When I have a new customer come to my house, I ask them if they have allergies or an aversion to dogs. I have large dogs and they are not allowed in my sewing areas. I also try to keep my house clean of their odors.

@nd had smoke is bad for everyone and everything - hope you get a smoking outside pact as soon as possible. Especially for those who can't speak for themselves, children, pets, the elderly, but not great for a mate who doesn't like to argue about issues either. You are on my prayer list.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurene
    @nd had smoke is bad for everyone and everything - hope you get a smoking outside pact as soon as possible. Especially for those who can't speak for themselves, children, pets, the elderly, but not great for a mate who doesn't like to argue about issues either. You are on my prayer list.
    That's 2nd hand....

I personally would not buy anything that smelled of smoke, but pets would not bother me. I am so happy that our strict laws forbid smoking in all public places.

You have ideas that would work. If you put into even totes after being washed you can use those little dry packs they put into everything to absorb moisture. I save them and put them into my totes of fabric and even project boxes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast