Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I made a mistake-opinions please >

I made a mistake-opinions please

I made a mistake-opinions please

Old 02-28-2015, 06:01 AM

In my experience working with Minky, I have found it to be very linty, to say the least. It also curls when cut. I have never made a rag quilt because my arthritic hands could never make all those cuts. But I have sewn bathrobes out of minky, will never work with it again. Good luck with your project, you will be nice and cuddly wrapped in it.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by stlkeeler View Post
I am making my first rag quilt. I have minky (first time using that) for the back and have 10 different 1/2 yard pieces of cotton for the front. I made the mistake of cutting 5 of the cotton pieces in squares 2" smaller than the minky and the other 5 pieces. I cut the minky, 1/2 the fabric and some batting squares yesterday. This morning when I came back to it I cut the rest of the fabric the same size as the batting squares. Should I buy more fabric, add something to the smaller squares (what? same fabric or mix and match?) or should I piece whole different blocks with the smaller squares and the scraps (any suggestions? 4 patches, maybe?)

Thanks in advance for any help you have.
Linda
I'm not sure and I don't want to be Miss downer, but I don't think you will be happy with Minky as the back. It won't fray like flannel would.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:19 PM

I made a rag quilt with minky one time, only a baby quilt. I ordered the minky precut in 5" squares, used it for the back, no batting, and flannel for the front, just did mixed soft print flannels, came out really cute, but was a mess to work with!