Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing table space >

Sewing table space

Sewing table space

Old 02-28-2015, 12:44 PM

Default Sewing table space

I'm trying to redo my sewing table (plastic folding from Costco) to a desk...I am wondering what is the 'going' size. I've never really had anything 'real' before! I have a desk in mind, but before I do...I want some ideas from all my quilting 'friends'.

Thanks all!
Old 02-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

It really depends on what you are going to be doing, piecing or quilting. For piecing, any standard size desk would work but if you want to do some quilting, it is best to have at least 36" to your left and at least 24" behind your DSM for supporting your quilt.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:30 PM

I have an L shape desk that is 5 foot long each direction of the L. When doing King and Queen size quilts, you can not have any desk too big.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:55 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here's my table's dimensions. I pull another table to my left when I'm quilting a large top.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails my-sewing-table.jpg  
Old 02-28-2015, 04:20 PM

Thanks ladies! I was looking at what's for sale on sites and just thought real people are the ones in the know! You all have been helpful!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:23 PM

My desk is only 20x48 but I set up a 48" folding table behind it when I am quilting instead of piecing.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 PM

Was at a Restore place today, for Habitat for Humanity, and they had all kinds of great tables, some from apparently local hotels who are redoing the rooms. Even had 3 sewing machines in the sewing cabinets. If you have that store in your area, please check them out. I walked in several months ago, saw a quilt in a dining room hutch with the glass shelves wrapped in. I unwrapped the glass shelves, took the quilt to the counter and ask how much. She went to get the man in charge, he came out, handed me the quilt, and said, "We don't sell things like this, please enjoy it".
So I got it for free, went home and looked really good at it, it was signed and dated 1937. Had to take it to quilt club for "show and tell" and some of the quilting girls said they just found another place they have to check out. They laugh at me but I really enjoy hunting down the old quilts which I enjoy very much.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:21 PM

If you are looking for a table that your sewing machine will set into the Sew EZ is very nice. It is a portable table in that it will fold up and has wheels at one end so it is easy to move around when folded up. I bought one when I got my Hus. Topaz. I have a permanent table for my Janome 6600P that came with the machine and I wanted similar for my Topaz. When you order the SewEz they ask you what kind of machine you have so it comes with the acrylic insert. You can also buy a solid insert so it can be a flat surface. I did have it set up for a long time in my sewing room but take it down from time to time when we have guests and I don't want my machine out. The Janome is always up.

What is your sewing machine? Have you checked the brand website for a sewing table/cabinet?