Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 PM

When I first started I thought everything had to be perfect, but then the next thing I knew, I was saying good enough, I'm not perfect. Sewing then became more enjoyable. And you know, it still looked damn good!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:43 PM

I attended a class at a quilt show several years ago and have integrated the speaker's saying into my quilting. "There is no such thing as quilt police." If the quilt is hanging on a wall and some one drove by at 30 MPH would they see any imperfections? Not likely. I am quite happy doing my best each day.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Joeysnana
In the 70s I strove for perfection and having failed at that, I gave up quilting. Now I am a lot older and wiser and have taken up quilting once again. I no longer worry about the boo boos. I just focus on the fun I have making those boo boos! :)
I like your attitude.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmaAva
"Finished is better than perfect" Don't know who in our local club came up with that motto, but most of our members have adopted it.
I think Helen Kelley (sp?) said it originally. When my daughter and I read it we adopted that as our motto.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Well, they say you learn something new everyday. I never heard of 2 or 3 threads off 1/4 inch. The 1/4 inch foot is good enough for me! Agree wwith those who said quilting is supposed to be fun not frustrating. Made 22 quilts last year for kids and grandkids for Christmas. None of them perfect but all appreciated. (To the extent that they want another one this Christmas. [What did I get myself into?]
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by JADE D
Well, they say you learn something new everyday. I never heard of 2 or 3 threads off 1/4 inch. The 1/4 inch foot is good enough for me! Agree wwith those who said quilting is supposed to be fun not frustrating. Made 22 quilts last year for kids and grandkids for Christmas. None of them perfect but all appreciated. (To the extent that they want another one this Christmas. [What did I get myself into?]
I greatly admire you for finishing that many quilts in a year. My goal was half that, and I did not make it. Still, I did more than if I had not had a goal at all, so I'm okay with that.

You did really great, though!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:56 PM

I am a perfectionist and I have fun and enjoy all of my activities, including quilting. I would not get any enjoyment out of a quilt with cutoff points, mismatched corners, seams, etc. My family and friends would think I had lost my mind if I gave a gift that wasn't the absolute best it could be.

To each his own.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ragann63
I am a perfectionist and I have fun and enjoy all of my activities, including quilting. I would not get any enjoyment out of a quilt with cutoff points, mismatched corners, seams, etc. My family and friends would think I had lost my mind if I gave a gift that wasn't the absolute best it could be.

To each his own.
The key words in this is "the best it could be". My best, is not your best. I can live with that. :thumbup:
Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 AM

Why do we make quilts? We don't need to - there are quilts to buy, warm blankets and coverlets - we can get them anywhere at any price. We quilt because it gives us pleasure. So forget about perfection and concentrate on having fun. Quilts I make and give away are loved by those who receive them, flaws and all.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
I quilt for fun. I gave up perfection years ago. I like my quilts to look nice, and I do rip out my share of seams, but my quilts will never be in a show, will never be in a museum, but they will be in my house and the houses of family and friends, and I will be proud of them when I'm done. I keep telling myself that perfection is impossible so why should I drive myself crazy trying to achieve something I can never do.
Ditto, ditto!!! I went from making my own clothes to making blankets, to QUILTING. I make quilts but I am NOT a quilter. Like you, Jill, I make them for kids and nappers to be comforted with. They were stitched to last and can be washed and dried and, above all, USED. Love, Quilting Joan