Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advice... >

I need advice...

I need advice...

Old 02-12-2011, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
Newbie here...I need to know how you all prepare your quilts for quilting or tying. How do you stretch them and such? I have a condition where I cannot get down on the floor like I read some of you doing to sandwich your project.
Definitely easier to do them on a table. Some of the people on here were talking about using tables at their libraries and churches too.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:25 AM

I put all my quilts on boards with clamps on each corner and put on legs to hold it up. If you are buying boards be sure to take a few thumbtacks along so you can see if the boards are soft enough to get your thumbtacks in. You don't want hard boards that you can't get the tacks in or when you try they break or bend over. Using this method you don't have to baste, start quilting and roll from the long side. I have been doing this for 35+ years. No problem.This is the way my mother did hers and all the ladies in my area do it this way.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I have put those cardboard foldout dresmakers boards laid out on my bed, I used two together for the larger quilts, no getting down on the floor:)
I do that also. If it is really big I use my church's tables.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:16 AM

When I had a glass dining room table I taped it to that. Now I bring in a 4'x8' plywood and tape it to that, shifting if I need to, depending on size. I tried spray baste once and it left lumps; operator error I'm sure, but never used it again. I pin, then baste.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:51 PM

This is the way my grandma and I use to do it. get 4 2x2's (they hide out of way later nicely) 4 C clamps .... IF you have folding chairs or if your kitchen chairs are flat on tom maybe slightly rounded, use four, cover with towel so not to damage chairs. make a big square out of your 2x2's and C-Clamps, Small nails.... nail backing with right side facing floor, nail enough to hold all the way around. as your doing this kind of make sure your backing is not being pilled sideways, want it even, Then lay batting then top, We would pin the top to backing, Now here and there place a pin to hold everything together if you can. Get at top or bottom, With that 2x2 on top of both sides, as you will roll in UNDER as you start tieing, you would be sitting in a chair, and move in as you quilt, will have to undo the tack nails on sides as you roll. Grandma and I naturally would cut that part off. YOu will have no real bending. re: tying how close, depends upon if your using cotton or polly.. Hope this works for you as it has for me. :)
Old 02-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I use Sharon Schamber's method. Search her name on you tube and you'll find it.
This is the most WONDERFUL and carefree method in the world.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 AM

I am not able to get down on the floor. So I put mine on the bed and pin carefully. At the Quilt House where we meet on thursdays when we put one in the frames to quilt it we do the stretching there. I like to sew a line arould the quilt top so it helps preserve the shape of the top. Hope this helps some. Marvel
Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 PM

If you find a place with long folding tables that you can use, get from Walmart, or some store, the gadgets used to raise beds. Very inexpensive! They are square blocks of hard plastic, not heavyy, that can be placed under the legs of the table and raise it to a comfortable height where you don't even have to bend your back. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 02-14-2011, 02:55 PM

[
Old 02-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by grammyp
Our local quilt guild has a frame similar to this. The backing can be attached to the frame, batting and top placed on top. Then it can be pinned or basted while standing.
That is so cool - Are the legs saw horses?