Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I need advice... >
  • I need advice...

• I need advice...

Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 AM

I use spray starch - but I know many swear by the liquid stuff. Here is the link for her Sharon Schambers basting video for anyone who needs it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

I have used this method a few times and really liked it!
    Old 02-11-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
    Thank you all for the great input. I think I like the YouTube video method (Sharon Schamber) and I can play the video as often as I like. I sounds reasonable. I think one of the things I did not do on my recent venture was use starch. I think that must be integral. Do you all use spray starch or actually dip the backing into a starch bucket or paint it on or what?
    I use Mary Ellen's Best Press. I buy it by the gallon from Jo-Ann's online with a 50% off coupon.
    Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 AM

I bought one of those craft tables at a store using 1/2 off coupons, cost me like $50 at the time, I think they may now be twice that. It folds down on 2 side and leaves a top of just about 12 " so it fits behind stuff. I keep it behind another table against the wall. Because it's on wheels and high, I find it pretty useful, at least until I started keeping a bunch of used magazines on top, stupidly making it so I have to use the floor . I have decided to sort thru the mag's and dump the ones that aren't quilt related to give me more room and my table back. I'm also looking for a stool type chair on wheels to use with it as I don't do standing for very long too well.
    Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I use Sharon Schamber's method. Search her name on you tube and you'll find it.
    Me too. It is so easy and quick. The tut is titled " basting the quilt sandwich" or something close to that. It is the best method I have ever seen. You don't need to get on the floor or use a big table. And no wrinkles in your backing. Who could ask for more?
    Old 02-11-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    i use a folding table. binding clips or other type of clips hold the quilt layers steady, i baste the center, than move the quilt and reclip and baste the rest. no floor for me either.
    actually i use fusible batting or spray basting now.
    I'm curious. When you use fusible batting, how do you get your iron to the quilt so you can fuse? You certainly don't use a drop cord, do you? That would be a big iffy. Marge
    Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM

I live in a motorhome FT. No room in rig, but campground has a community center & allows me to sandwich my quilts up there on their long tables. I have rods, screws & a plate in my back & can't get down either. Make sure you have your roll of painters tape if you go elsewhere. I leave a roll in the trunk of my car to stretch the fabric on the tables in order to safety pin with no wrinkles underneath.
    Old 02-11-2011, 04:16 PM

I stretch my quilt tops out on my bed (king size) and sandwich them. It works out pretty well for me.
    Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 PM

I have protectors for my dining room table. I turn them over so the flannellike side is up. I smooth the backing on and it holds the fabric in place. Then batting, smooth it, then the top, smooth that. Then I sew Sharon Shambers method. Tried with the boards once but like sewing Sharons' herring bone stitch best. If the quilt is too large I just move it after I have done the middle.
    Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM

I have a folding table that I set up next to our dining table.
    The folding table is a little shorter in height so I just put some books under the legs. When done I can just fold it up.
    Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 PM
    Power Poster

I NEVER work on the floor. Usually I go where I can borrow oversized tables or put two together. Then I tape my backing taut and spend a lot of time patting down the batting and the top until everything feels smooth. I pin hand-width apart and loosen the tape to pull the sandwich to me. Have not had a problem with puckers (or sore back and knees)