Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need advice... >

I need advice...

I need advice...

Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 AM

I can not get down on the floor either. I can sometimes do a small quilt on the dining room table, but it is really hard with larger quilts. I had a top ready last weekend to finish for my dad, and called my friend to help with the basting. Also, my LQS is great, and would help me any time I asked on their big tables. See if you can find a support system to help. I had polio as a child, and use a power chair. Good luck with your projects!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by bkb
i taped mine to the wall spray basted it, and flattened it ,then to be sure i rolled that puppy with my rolling pin worked great for me
What a clever idea. I would never have thought of using a rolling pin.

:thumbup:
Old 02-11-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp
Our local quilt guild has a frame similar to this. The backing can be attached to the frame, batting and top placed on top. Then it can be pinned or basted while standing.
This is pretty much my method, but I set the frame on the backs of my dining room chairs. Works great and no bending or kneeling.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 AM

Sharon's method looks wonderful and I plan on using it when I get something ready to bast and quilt.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 AM

I have bad knees and I either use a large foldup table with adjustable legs on the highest setting if I am pinning or the spray basting on the wall method which I have just begun to do and it has been working really well for me. I got the table at either Kmrt or Target and the legs adjust up to about 36 or more inches and it folds in half. I use it for my cutting table also. Before I got my sewing room I used to have to travel around the house to work so I got the table for that reaason.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM

I put mine on my bed and that works for me. I can't get down on the floor either, so try using your bed.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 AM

My sis has a ping-pong table and it works well. My sewing table is okay for the smaller things but for the larger things I always go to sis's.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM

I have a ping pong table that I use for everything. I love it. It's the best work surface going. It's easy to find them second hand. It takes up most of the space in my sewing room. Sometimes I dream of a beautiful sewing room with custom cutting tables and cabinets, but I doubt I'll ever be able to part with my beloved ping pong table!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 AM

I use my kitchen table. I center the backing and use some woodworkers small clamps and secure one side the smooth it carefully; add the batting then the top. Carefully clamp all layers together on all four sides of the table. To pin or baste, start in the center and work out placing safety pins about a hand's width apart repositioning the quilt sandwich as necessary until the whole thing is pinned together.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Thank you all for the great input. I think I like the YouTube video method (Sharon Schamber) and I can play the video as often as I like. I sounds reasonable. I think one of the things I did not do on my recent venture was use starch. I think that must be integral. Do you all use spray starch or actually dip the backing into a starch bucket or paint it on or what?