Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a GOOD Seam Ripper!!

I spent years finding one I liked!!
    Try Clover seam rippers, larger than the cheapies , lovely and sharp and eassy to hold.
    If you can't get them in the US try Australian ebay as some sellers stock them
    Heather
    in Australia

Order the ones through Lee Valley www.leevalley.com . They are fantastic.

I use a "ripper/clipper" from Shoppers Rule. The are the best that I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    I didn't have a seam ripper until two months ago and everyone bragged about Clover. Never used one before but since I bought it, have had to use it.
    WOW, never had a seam ripper before, you are good. I wore three out!

Vat
    I have been sewing/quilting for over 50 years and the best one I have come across one two (2) years that is the very best. It's ballance is wonderful in your hand. It is gold and slender. I gave $16 for it (I think) at our quilt show. I bought it from SchoolHouse Quilts. Her name is Brenda Arrowood and her web is: [email protected] . I know that is a little expensive and I thought so too, but I dearly love it. I think you would also.

Blog Entries
    I just have one from Walmart. I guess that's why I try extra hard not to have to rip!! But, when I do, it's no fun. I hate having to rip. Takes too much time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra2
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good seam ripper?? I've used the cheap ones. I have a gingher (which I hate to say, I really DON'T like). I want something that is really sharp clear down to the point!
    Just got an excellent tip from Lacey Hill of Golden Tyme Designs. Did a class with her last week and she showed us her seam ripper; from Joann's and the cheapest one they make.
    She showed us how to rip out an entire seam with one stroke.
    GENIUS.
    Diane in Garnet Valley, PA

Clover brand, brown with rather flat handle. I hear there's a round-handled one, same brand, but I haven't found it. I have a number of seam rippers, and I always go back to Clover with the brown handle.

I LOVE TH SCAPEL TYPE TOO!

I'm a guy, so I use my pocket knife--which I keep extremely sharp. I too, really hate ripping. Don't mind sewing it once--hate to do it twice..............

Jack

Clover

Blog Entries
    Clover and Fons and Porter. The Fons and Porter just feels better in my hand for some reason.

My first choice is Clover tho I've been known to use the one for the serger. I've had 2 Fons & Porter ones. They have nice large, soft handles which are also perfectly round, love to roll, fall off the table and the point breaks off. Quilt Shop replaced the first one. Several years ago I emailed them and suggested they square off the handle but never heard from them. I don't spend money twice on the same thing.

I bought a Fons and Porter one and love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiane318
    I didn't have a seam ripper until two months ago and everyone bragged about Clover. Never used one before but since I bought it, have had to use it.
    That's my favorite kind as well. I want to get a couple more.
    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...seam+ripper.do

Clover seam ripper
    Name:  Attachment-125062.jpe
Views: 31
Size:  1.4 KB

Blog Entries
    For small rips, the very best seam ripper I found is the one made by Bernina. For larger rips, the Havels
    Ultra Pro Seam Ripper (that offers replacement blades) is awesome.

I love the Clover. It actually has a handle big enough to get a hold on.

Quote Originally Posted by renda
    I use a "ripper/clipper" from Shoppers Rule. The are the best that I have ever seen.
    I just got one of these and used it to pull basting stitches out of fleece. It worked ok. I can see how it would be handy for thicker threads. The snipper part of it is way cool! I wasn't too impressed with the seam ripper part, though. A razor/scalpel type works much better but since I was working with fleece--I had to dig for the threads a little so my usual scalpel style was out & my new toy was laying right there to try.

I love my Bernina seam unsewer. Mine came with my machine, but you can go to a Bernina dealer and buy the unsewer (ripper is such a violent word!) without buying a new machine at the same time. Someone designed a quilting tool that includes a Bernina unsewer along with an awl. I would love to have that tool, but it is a bit pricey when I already have most of those tools individually (purchased before the designer tool came out.)

I use one of those pencil shaped mustache trimmers that run on AA batteries to do large pieces of frogging. They are under $20 and because of the way they are shaped they virtually cannot cut your quilt but do a fantastic job of cutting stitching. Just lift the top layer and start in with the clipper.
    Debi

I really like the surgical seam ripper. I purchased mine from Clotilda and you can buy replacement blades. I have three and they are great. Many people in my quilting class ask to borrow mine because it is sharp and easy to hold on to. I have not poked holes in my fabric either.

My favorite seam ripper was a gift to me from a quilting friend. It is brass and very thin yet almost as long as a pencil. It came with a matching stilleto. I have been using it for 15+ years and it is still sharp!
    XOXO Subee

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra2
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good seam ripper?? I've used the cheap ones. I have a gingher (which I hate to say, I really DON'T like). I want something that is really sharp clear down to the point!

I love my Bernina seamripper. You can get them at any Bernina dealer. Just the right size and very sharp.

I like to replace my seam rippers on a regular basis, so I do buy the $0.99 variety. They have a fine tip but are very short, so I asked my husband to make me a turned handle. I just plug a new ripper into the handle. Now, I have him make them for quilting friends because they are always trying to take mine.

Fon's & Porter has a good one and I love Bernina ones

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast