Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help with a "chalk" problem! >

I need help with a "chalk" problem!

I need help with a "chalk" problem!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM

Grandma's Spot Remover may take it out. It took out lots of mystery stains in my kids clothes and grease off my jacket. Work it in with a small brush or washcloth, rinse and repeat if necessary. Use cold water and don't put it in a hot dryer until you're sure the marks are out. I got mine at Walmart in the former fabric section, but I'm pretty sure craft stores and LQS may carry it.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Power Poster

I had the same problem with the gray chalk. I'm going to try the Shout in the aerosol bottle (which someone told me works better) next time I wash it.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by dyer804
Thanks all of you for the suggestions. I am discouraged but glad that it is mine and not a gift. Live and learn, no yellow ever again. I will throw the yellow away. Do you think that the white and other colors will be okay?I haven't washed the quilt yet. Should I try washing and air drying it or try something else first?
I have only used the peach color and the blue but I have been careful to use a lighthand with the blue and it was on a blue toned fabric just in case. The white is ok. I used the white to mark the navy blue border on my quilt and those marks came out with no problem.

I did read on another board that sometimes the sizing chemicals in the different fabrics affects how the chalk gets into the fabric. As I said, I have used the yellow before with no problems so maybe there is something to that theory.

I would definitely try washing it and then letting it air dry. You may be lucky and have it come out in the first wash. If the marks don't completely come out completely then try working with some of the stain remedies that others have suggested.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

Listening and learning. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 PM

Ohhhhhh earlier this morning I posted about my blue "wash-out" chalk that I'd applied using a Pounce. It didn't wash out. I haven't put it in the dryer and will try the dish detergent/baking soda/vinegar and/or the Grandma's Spot Remover suggestions. I have sent an email to the manufacturer for hints.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana
Ohhhhhh earlier this morning I posted about my blue "wash-out" chalk that I'd applied using a Pounce. It didn't wash out. I haven't put it in the dryer and will try the dish detergent/baking soda/vinegar and/or the Grandma's Spot Remover suggestions. I have sent an email to the manufacturer for hints.
I'd appreciate hearing what worked! Thanks
Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 AM

Yesterday I heard back from the manufacturer, who suggested I try dabbing the chalked areas with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. While doing this it wasn't apparent it was working (I think the blue might have seeped into the batting), but when the quilt dried the blue lines were gone. Yay!!!!!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 PM

Yesterday I heard back from the manufacturer, who suggested I try dabbing the chalked areas with a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. While doing this it wasn't apparent it was working (I think the blue might have seeped into the batting), but when the quilt dried the blue lines were gone. Yay!!!!!
Thanks! I'll give that a try.