Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help and lots of it!    Paper piecing   (Barbsbus please don't look) >

I need help and lots of it! Paper piecing (Barbsbus please don't look)

I need help and lots of it! Paper piecing (Barbsbus please don't look)

Old 05-20-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
The 1st piece is right side up against paper. All the rest are right sides together. I trim seam allowance as I go along. I trim block on the out side lines. But I don't pull off paper till I am done sewing everything together. That way nothing goes out of shape. Hope that helps
Hmmm, you put the 1st piece right side to the paper or do you mean face up with the back of the material against the back (not printed on) side of the paper?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

You always put the fabric on the side of the paper with no printing, so the first piece of fabric goes on the unprinted side of the paper with the right side of the fabric facing up .Does that make sense ?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Oh gosh...my first attempts looked just like that!!! By now, I bet the Light bulb went off and now you know what you did....just jump back in and try again, you'll get it and then you'll love it!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Pam

Yours looks just about right for a first attempt. Keep at it, you will learn to love it, but you must remember that you are training your brain with this technique. This is NOT intuitive, everything is backward from how your brain "wants" it to be.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 AM

Oh my! You did have a time of it. Follow the great video tutes and it will come to you. Once you get it, it is like riding a bike.
Don't give up-PPing is fun and the points are sooo much better than I can do otherwise.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

I think we all have one of those "first attempts" tucked away :roll: :lol: Try again and I bet you "get it" :D:D:D
Old 05-20-2010, 02:45 PM

Ok here's a little trick that works for me. Think of your pp'ing like a party. A piece of paper and a piece of fabric come to the party.

Fabric likes fabric and paper likes paper. The first piece of fabric gives the paper the "cold shoulder" so the "right side" of the fabric faces out and so does the printed side of the paper so they dont have to "talk". You have to pin or glue them together because they dont like each other.

Then the second piece of fabric arrives at the party she wants to talk to the first piece of paper and gossip behind the paper's back so they are face to face or right sides together on the backside of the paper. Sew, flip, trim.

Then another piece of fabric comes to the party, he wants to chat up the second piece of fabric so they are face to face talking. Sew flip trim and repeat.

Just keep adding to the fabric party while the paper is left all by himself.

The hardest problem that I have with pp'ing is making sure the pieces are big enough when they are oriented on an angle.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 PM

Oh seamstome...You are so creative!!!!!!!!!! ROTFLMBO
But it defintiely gets the point across.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 PM

I do alot of pping now but in the beginning I COULD NOT get it right. I would sew it, rip it, sew it, rip it, wad it up and throw it and start over. I had to talk to myself or I would have slit my wrists with a seam ripper. Once I got it though I must have taught five people how to do it in under thirty minutes.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:00 AM

Also, your piece #1 is right side up and piece #2 is wrong side up, and you cut after you sew on the line with a 1/4" seam and trim then #3 goes right side down on #2 trimmed right side up. Hope that makes it simpler, I had a heck of a time when I first started too. Thank God for Mom's!!!!