Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help and lots of it!    Paper piecing   (Barbsbus please don't look) >

I need help and lots of it! Paper piecing (Barbsbus please don't look)

I need help and lots of it! Paper piecing (Barbsbus please don't look)

Old 05-21-2010, 05:36 AM

Seamstome- Your description is right on. If I'm doing a block that has lots of points (triangles in it), I'll cut strips that are the width of the triangle plus 5/8" for the total seam allowances on both sides and a bit extra for fabric to be lost in the fold over area leaving enough for a 1/4" seam allowance. After each section is sewn on, I'd press the seam, then open it out and press again with a dry iron. Then trim off the edge so I'm leaving a 1/4" seam allowance and cut from the strip. Now it's ready to add the next section with my strip -right sides together, line up the edges, put in a pin or two thru the paper and fabric, stitch on the line and con't. I learned p.p. from a book by Valorie Wells, "Radiant New York Beauties".
Old 05-21-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
Ok here's a little trick that works for me. Think of your pp'ing like a party. A piece of paper and a piece of fabric come to the party.

Fabric likes fabric and paper likes paper. The first piece of fabric gives the paper the "cold shoulder" so the "right side" of the fabric faces out and so does the printed side of the paper so they dont have to "talk". You have to pin or glue them together because they dont like each other.

Then the second piece of fabric arrives at the party she wants to talk to the first piece of paper and gossip behind the paper's back so they are face to face or right sides together on the backside of the paper. Sew, flip, trim.

Then another piece of fabric comes to the party, he wants to chat up the second piece of fabric so they are face to face talking. Sew flip trim and repeat.

Just keep adding to the fabric party while the paper is left all by himself.

The hardest problem that I have with pp'ing is making sure the pieces are big enough when they are oriented on an angle.
Regarding you last sentence:
If you cut a strip, just measure from the line where that strip joins the previous one, add seam allow. plus 1/8" for your cut strip width. So if piece #2 measures 2" wide add 5/8" to that for all your seam allow. and cut a strip 2 5/8" wide. If you are using a patterned fabric,especially a stripe, this orientation of the fabric might turn out to look different than you'd originally planned. A little trial and error occurs. It's preferable to be sewing on the straight grain VS bias, but that sometimes happens or bias edges are on the outside of the block. That's why they say to leave the paper on until blocks are sewn together, then remove the paper, or remove the paper in your seam allow. area, sew the blocks together and then remove the remaining paper from each block.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:01 AM

I have my eye on a tiny pp project in Nancy's Notions. Not big, not fancy but it even come with fabric and extra pp printed out for you. Not expensive either. Just enough for me to try it once with instructions, papers, fabric in my (hot little) hands all at one time.

I thought, maybe if I'm not looking for the last fabric, or light weight paper, or new ink for the printer, or an easy pattern, or better directions - well, just maybe I'll get to try pp before I'm 150 years old.

Jois
Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions - I tried PP a few years back, even took a class but never complete anything. This makes me want to try again!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:57 AM

I think that people tend to "overthink" paper piecing. You ALWAYS sew on the right side of the paper pattern. The first piece of your project goes fabric right side up on the BACK side of the paper pattern. Subsequent pieces are placed fabric right side DOWN on top of the prior piece with enough overlay to stich the seam, and then stiched (remeber always to stich only on the right side of the paper), trimmed, flipped and ironed. It is really a very simple process once we get over the intimidation factor. Good luck
Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 AM

I wanted to do this but was afraid to start.It all seemed so complicated.Bought several books but they were no help.Mainly filled with patterns instead of information but with all the tutorials you'll have posted, I feel confident I can do it. Ready to get started!!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:22 PM

I love your little story Seamstone - bring fabrics to life and enjoy it outcome? Well thought out :lol:
Old 05-21-2010, 03:48 PM

Magnolia - watch the Carol Doak video and check out amma's tute on this board and have another go.

It's great once you get the hang of it - and that won't take long.

Good luck :thumbup:
Old 05-21-2010, 04:40 PM

I'm hoping to try again tomorrow. My dryer broke so I have fabric hanging everywhere in my sewing room right now drying. I was trying to clean the room and get everything put away; it's going to take a little longer now, but I'm hoping it will all be dry by morning.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:04 AM
Banned

thank you for the site. God bless. Penny