Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need help with my new "stash closet"! >

I need help with my new "stash closet"!

I need help with my new "stash closet"!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:57 PM

I love your space. Can I ask where you got the dividers between some of your stacks of beautiful fabric?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

I like the open look so long as you protect the fabric from light. Dust can always be shaken off. Looks great and it is great to look at all your fabric although I see some spaces that could use more fabric. :P
Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM

The doors are amazingly useful - flannel on one side and the other should have bars for folded quilts - I use mine all the time - also think about a magnet board on one door - I use my metal outside door for magnets/reminders, etc. - I made another door into a pinup board by adding a layer of celotex but a friend did hers with foam core. I think doors offer a lot of extended use. I have seen another door used with a large pocket type holder (sort of a shoe holder) and the quilter used it for all the tools in her small room. It made a handy and useful difference. The pocket thinghad clips that went over the door so as not to mar the wood. Have fun!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:45 PM

i would leave it open so you can glance at your stash
Old 08-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Even ambient light can fade fabrics. I'd opt for the sliding doors and push them out of sight when I'm in there, or change to folding doors with louvers (for air circulation), or hang some curtains with tiebacks on a springrod. I see by the avatars so many of us have kitties, and a door will help keep the kitties and/or dust kitties off the fabric.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:28 PM

I left the doors off mine and then had hubby install some hardware on frame of closet opening so I could use the rod used to hang clothes , then I bought white flannel and made a rod pocket curtain,which I use as my design wall.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Hello, friends and fellow quilters. My DH has just finished turning the closet in my sewing room (our empty nester's second bedroom) into a fabric stash for me. I love it, but the big dilemma is, do I have him put the solid wood sliding closet doors back on, or not. The window in the room is on the opposite side of the room, and faces direct west, so I always make sure to have the blinds drawn in the afternoon or the sun blazes in.

Fading, dust, etc. are my concerns, but I love the openness, and the inspiration looking at all my fabrics gives me.

What do you think?
My sewing room closet faces west too and while fading was a concern, the bigger concern for me was how hot it would get with the sun blaring in, even with the blinds drawn and the AC on. Fortunately, I had a large piece of black velvet which I tacked up over the window (I have natural light flourescent fixtures in my sewing room, thanks to the DH) Thanks to that velvet, I can sew in there all day every day if I "sew" desire. The only drawback is that I lose track of what time of day it is!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:42 PM

I love Mattee's idea of leaving it open for a wee while to see what you think first. If you didn't like it that way, I would use curtains with tie backs so you could see your collection of gorgeous materials when you wanted to. This uses less space than open doors. :)
Old 08-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Dee

I'd keep them open.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Your DH is a dear, for sure!

Brainstorming ideas:

Half-way up louver doors, stained to match beautiful molding.
They'll fold back to give easy access to fabric, when closed they'll protect your fabric while letting it breathe.
HOWEVER, sewing rooms are dust/lint havens and the doors will show a lot of dust on the louver parts.

The idea of a curtain/drape will protect, yet let your fabric breathe. Two panels so you can draw each panel to the side. What kind of a rod to use will have to be researched.