Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need ideas! >

I need ideas!

I need ideas!

Old 08-24-2017, 05:32 AM

I have made dozens of these, and always get compliments from those receiving them, how useful they are: Just like pot holders so you don't burn your fingers.

Microwave dish holders, which you can use to heat other items such as soup, stews, Buns, potatoes, canned veg's, cauliflower, broccolli, (After I wash the vegetables, there is enough moisture on them to cook, to the crunchy stage - 2 minutes) etc.

This will make one: You can make them larger if you like...

Cut 2 pieces of fabric, 10 inches square
Cut 2 pieces of cotton batting also 10 inches square,

Lay 1 piece of cotton batting on one of the squares of fabric. Fold these in half, then in half again, and press with your iron, so you can see the four sections.

On the fold of each section, (this will be 5 inches from each cut edge of your fabric and batting) starting at the outside edge and 1 inch over from the fold start sewing, and sew down at an angle 2 inches right off the edge at the fold (this will be approx. 3 inches from the centre of your fabric).....

If you did not sew down this seam, it would look like a "V" cut out of the centre folded edge on all four sides with the point being closest to the centre of your piece of fabric/batting.

Now do the same with your next 10 inch piece of fabric and batting.

Next lay the right sides together, and sew around all of the three sections - leaving one section open, trim each corner to reduce the bulk, and now you can turn it right side out, push all the corners out to nice points, then stitch around all four sides - starting at the opening, once you have done that, sew an "X"
in the centre to hold it all in place.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:56 AM

I have also made cool ties......I don't know what the weather is like where they are going, but these would be good in the hot weather - you soak these in cold water and the water gems swell up 6 times their original size with the water, then you wear it around your head or neck to keep cool.

Here is how I constructed them: Water Gems are generally used for flower arrangements or as a soil hydrator for plants. Do not put these down your drains.....

Cut 45 inches on the bias of your fabric, tapering each end, now with right sides together, stitch approx, 15 inches from each end, leaving an opening an opening of approx 15 inches to place your water gems into. Fold over the edges and stitch down this opening. and you are done.

For those of you that cannot find water gems, baby diapers also have a water retention and liner with these water beads, to keep the child dry, your need to be careful with these, as they are very fine, try to keep them inside their liner, and insert the liner and beads inside the opening of the tie - these granules are very fine, but work the same as the water beads, you can probably get a couple of inserts from one new diaper.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:02 AM

this may be a downer, but realistic - before you go through the effort of making and sending, have you checked out the quality of postal service in Bolivia? Will gifts make it thru to the intended recipient? My sister lives in Ecuador and doesn't want anything sent thru the mail because it probably won't make it...too many hands that like to grab things out of packages.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:16 AM

I make various sizes of messenger bags. If they use a laptop or tablet, I make it that size and add a slightly padded inside pocket to hold it. I make the bag in a plain fabric (khaki, denim, etc) but, I like to use a cotton print on the inside that is special to them (fishing, soccer, food!). Make an adjustable strap that can be worn across the body. I have also made a smaller one to hold a cell phone and keys for a nephew who likes to take short hikes. (I lined it with a dog fabric because he hikes with his dogs.)
Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 AM

Coffee Cozies are easy to make and can be used on any beverage cups.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 AM

Laptop or tablet sleeves may be well received if they have such items.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:31 AM

I recently saw here on the Quilting Board, I am sure, the idea for small zippered circle with a tab to hang it on car keys, or elsewhere -- it is good for the earplugs or for a flash drive, etc and I thought Yippee, I have a gift for my young adult grandsons! I plan to make them of some leather-look material or a sports/college theme depending upon which one I am making it for! I think my son-in-laws would like that as well. I know men carry things in their pockets but this would be a small (purse type) item they could hook onto a beltloop, etc. Maybe this will be something you could take and run with. My thanks to whoever it was that I got this idea from!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:40 AM

How about pot holders or oven mitts? Not greatly time consuming.
Mariah
Old 08-24-2017, 02:51 PM

I saw recently a fabric cell phone stand made like a cushion that you can lean the phone on while you're watching a video, or something like that.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
this may be a downer, but realistic - before you go through the effort of making and sending, have you checked out the quality of postal service in Bolivia? Will gifts make it thru to the intended recipient? My sister lives in Ecuador and doesn't want anything sent thru the mail because it probably won't make it...too many hands that like to grab things out of packages.
Yes, that is true in Bolivia, too. But my son and DIL and grandbaby are going down there to see her family and will carry in too-numerous suitcases.