Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: I need to make a baby quilt

I've bought panels several times and then added pieced blocks and/or borders around the edges. There are some precious fabric sets out there with panels, borders and yardage so you can mix and match. I usually buy one of the companion fabrics for the backing too. I also always make my baby quilts large. They're tiny babies for such a short time, if it's larger, it will last through toddler years for naps as well.
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    Here's the back of the snowball quilt made with Terrain by Moda fabrics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

My favorite is a quicky pattern....way fast and easy.

I recently made a baby quilt out of Free Spirit soft prints. I made a variation of Jacob's ladder. It was very simple - each block consisting of two four patch and and two half square triangles. I made the different smaller blocks like an assembly line then assembled each block. You can arrange the blocks in any design and there was no sashing required. Good luck.
    Name:  016.JPG
Views: 1584
Size:  630.4 KB Name:  003.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  709.9 KB
    Fabrics are like chocolate, I can never get enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    3d pinwheel quilts are fast and easy and look great too.
    This is exactly what I was going to suggest. They make up very quickly & are so cute.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the D9P - just did one for a new little one but I also added prairie points to it for something different this time. It turned out really cute and if I ever figure out how to post a picture I'll post one.

Blog Entries
    I just finished making one for my future grandson due in November. I used Eric Carle's "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" fabric, which is VERY colorful, and it includes a border on both selvages. You just have to add a border on the top and bottom with the coordinating fabric. Very easy to just quilt around each block in the fabric and quilt the border as piano keys. Hopefully you can find it in a local shop, or online. I'd post a pic of it, but haven't got the camera on hand right now. I'm sure if you google the fabric you'll find it online.

I just found a link:
    http://www.carlemuseum.org/Shop/Fabr...r_Fabric_Line/
    Last edited by Grandma Mary; 08-07-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Addition of link

Blog Entries
    Ditto on this one. I have made some really cute (and very easy) baby quilts, adding borders to panels.

Quote Originally Posted by dbright View Post
    There are lots of awesome panels that you can add borders to and have a beautiful quilt in short time.
    C9P aka Jan

Hmmm.....need to make a quilt for a baby due this fall. Thanks for all the neat ideas. I just may have to try that disappearing nine patch.

One I did to use up scraps I don't have a great picture of. But I used 3 1/2" squares just but with 12 random blocks I put 4 prairie points on them so you can open them like little doors to see the block underneath. If I'm being confusing I can take a pic and post it. Turned out really cute
    *Rachel*

Quote Originally Posted by DJinSC View Post
    This is the first time I've tried to post pictures. Hope it works! Here are two baby quilts I've made that were soooo simple. I've done the log cabin one three times because I like it so much. The fabrics you choose make such a difference. Each one is totally different. You've gotten alot of great ideas. If you're interested in either of these, let me know and I'll send you directions. I also agree that a quilt made from a panel would be easy and look fantastic. They have so many different, really cute panels! Good luck! I love making baby quilts!

Attachment 354140
    Attachment 354139
    Oh my word!!! What adorable quilts! I love them!!! So, so, so cute!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
    My "Go-To" baby quilt is to use a cute focus fabric and 2 coordinating fabrics, cut 4 -- 2.5" strips X WOF, then 5 -- 2.5" strips by WOF. Make 9 -patch blocks from those strips, measure, should be 6.5", but measure just in case and square up to 6.,5, then cut 3 strips from focus fabric into 6.5. Once assembled 5 x 7 blocks, I like to cut 2.5" strips for the first border and 6" or 6.5" strips for border. I've been making these quilts together and I still can't figure out how much fabric you need, approximately 2 yds of focus fabric and about half a yard for 9-patch blocks, or you can make the 9 -patch blocks 9 different colors if you would like. It's an easy quilt that works up quickly and you could probably piece, sandwich and quilt in a week or two, depending on your time available. I promise you, it's quick, easy and is beautiful when finished.
    Do you happen to have a picture of this? It sure sounds cute!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
    I agree. Marshall's Dry Goods have beautiful, inexpensive baby panels.
    Here's another good site ---> http://www.pre-printed-quilt-tops.com/
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    One I did to use up scraps I don't have a great picture of. But I used 3 1/2" squares just but with 12 random blocks I put 4 prairie points on them so you can open them like little doors to see the block underneath. If I'm being confusing I can take a pic and post it. Turned out really cute
    Please post a picture of this if you can because it sounds awfully cute!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Man oh man, thank you all for all the ideas. I don't know what warm wishes is, but I will google it. I like the Snowball quilt really well. And Jacob's Ladder. They seem like my speed. I love all the quilts actually, it's just these seem easiest to me. I can make more difficult quilts, but not by demand. So, thank you all so very much. I appreciate all your support.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    yes, do a yahoo search for baby quilts and click Images for photos. have fun!! also look in photos here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3