Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need to make a baby quilt

The Warm Wishes is a great quilt to make and easy but doesn't look easy. Go to the Project Linus website for directions. Made with a bright kid print and 3 fabrics chosen to go with would look great.

I like I-Spy quilts .... made with baby or child prints in the colors requested. I-Spy quilts are always fun to explore in quiet times.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Blog Entries
    I like the I spy idea as well. I make them a little bigger than a baby quilt so they can have it as a toddler when it can be a "blankie" and a learning tool.

I also think the little rag quilts are adorable easy, soft, fast and cute
    for babies.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingdragon View Post
    My favorite baby quilt pattern is Yellow Brick Road. I've made about five of them. One of these days I'll have to make a lap size for myself. For simple block patterns I like Antique tile from quilter's cache, I've made two of those and i'm on my third trip around the world quilt. I also love Bonnie Hunter's patterns on www.quiltville.com, specifically the bricks and stepping stones with I spy fabrics and the crayon box pattern with my scrappy brights. Generally unless the mom wants pastels I go the brighter the better for all of my quilts!
    Here's the YBR:
    That's an adorable YBR! Here's one I made recently. Also, I agree about Quiltville. There is a pattern there called "Streak of Sunshine" that I've made about a zillion times (it's a baby quilt) & here's one of those, too.

Name:  carla 1.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  203.7 KB Name:  jesse's quilt.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  31.9 KB
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

A rag quilt with specific baby patterns or assorted works up beautifully. You get to do it your way, and mix and match as many blocks as you like....a matching diaper bag is adorable....
    Shirley Cooper

Look at the patterns on Quilts For Kids - they are all very simple - it's really your choice of fabric that makes the quilt.http://www.quiltsforkids.org/patterns/
    Pat

Little Quilts 4 Little Kids

Check out Anka's Treasures. http://www.ankastreasures.com Her newest book Little Quilts 4 Little Kids is so cute! Can't wait to try them all. I've made several of her quilts and find her patterns very straight forward and easy to follow.

I've made many different patterns for babies. Warm Wishes is one of my favorites and it's quick and easy to do.Here are a couple of the Warm Wishes baby quilts. Good luck w/your project. So many choices, all of them "Great"!
    Name:  Aiden - Warm Wishes Baby Quilt.JPG
Views: 975
Size:  174.1 KB Name:  02-100_5012.JPG
Views: 947
Size:  155.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by grammy1231 View Post
    A rag quilt with specific baby patterns or assorted works up beautifully. You get to do it your way, and mix and match as many blocks as you like....a matching diaper bag is adorable....

This would be my first choice as well, making it with a nice soft flannel, all cuddly, just reminds me of something fit for litte ones. These and so quick and simple too.
    Amythyst

There are so many adorable panels you can get at the quilt shop and all you have to do is add a border and quilt it. Also to go with it there are grow charts and they are so cute. There is a garife and Bird. I have one of each to put together and a matching quilt. Both could be for either boy or girl.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I need to make a baby quilt by December for a spring baby. She wants colorful fabric, bright and cheery. I would like to make a fool proof baby quilt. One without flying geese, or anything too hard for sure. What would be a cute pattern for a baby quilt? I was thinking about a churn dash with sashings and corner blocks around each block. Is there an easier, prettier baby quilt pattern I could make? I don't work well under pressure and this is pressure to me. I usually just make quilts I like and then give them away to people I want to give them to. I have never made a baby quilt before. Any good ideas?
    Take a look at the free easy patterns posted on quiltsforkids.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Warm Wishes is super easy and looks like it isn't. You could make the focus fabric with "I Spy" type squares, to make it even more interesting.
    This would be my suggestion also. Have made 2 baby quilts using this pattern, goes together pretty fast and easy.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I third the snowball quilt pattern - so easy, and even easier if you do it without the sashing! I just made a baby quilt like this, I'll try to post a picture later.

I think Warm Wishes would be my vote, also.

This is the first time I've tried to post pictures. Hope it works! Here are two baby quilts I've made that were soooo simple. I've done the log cabin one three times because I like it so much. The fabrics you choose make such a difference. Each one is totally different. You've gotten alot of great ideas. If you're interested in either of these, let me know and I'll send you directions. I also agree that a quilt made from a panel would be easy and look fantastic. They have so many different, really cute panels! Good luck! I love making baby quilts!

Name:  GEDC0226.JPG
Views: 2175
Size:  1.01 MB
    Name:  GEDC0911.JPG
Views: 1043
Size:  610.7 KB

I love panels and adding borders. You can quilt them any way you want and that personalizes them. Panels are more durable than pieced tops because there are fewer seams to wear. I found some great panels at JoAnn's and you can find them on-line. Have fun. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by dbright View Post
    There are lots of awesome panels that you can add borders to and have a beautiful quilt in short time.

Thanks for posting the top picture. It has given me an idea about what to do with some fabric that has been on my mind for years! I lvoe the log cabin--my favorite pattern--but too much work right now. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by DJinSC View Post
    This is the first time I've tried to post pictures. Hope it works! Here are two baby quilts I've made that were soooo simple. I've done the log cabin one three times because I like it so much. The fabrics you choose make such a difference. Each one is totally different. You've gotten alot of great ideas. If you're interested in either of these, let me know and I'll send you directions. I also agree that a quilt made from a panel would be easy and look fantastic. They have so many different, really cute panels! Good luck! I love making baby quilts!

Name:  GEDC0226.JPG
Views: 2175
Size:  1.01 MB
    Name:  GEDC0911.JPG
Views: 1043
Size:  610.7 KB

I agree with you MadQuilter. I went on a dye-ing course, we ended up with 24 12inch squares of different colours and shades, all bright. I made a super baby quilt top in the DP9 design. Of course I have still to get round to quilting it, only had the top done for about 2 years!!!!!
    Anniehug

Power Poster
    My "Go-To" baby quilt is to use a cute focus fabric and 2 coordinating fabrics, cut 4 -- 2.5" strips X WOF, then 5 -- 2.5" strips by WOF. Make 9 -patch blocks from those strips, measure, should be 6.5", but measure just in case and square up to 6.,5, then cut 3 strips from focus fabric into 6.5. Once assembled 5 x 7 blocks, I like to cut 2.5" strips for the first border and 6" or 6.5" strips for border. I've been making these quilts together and I still can't figure out how much fabric you need, approximately 2 yds of focus fabric and about half a yard for 9-patch blocks, or you can make the 9 -patch blocks 9 different colors if you would like. It's an easy quilt that works up quickly and you could probably piece, sandwich and quilt in a week or two, depending on your time available. I promise you, it's quick, easy and is beautiful when finished.

check out missouri quilt on youtube, she makes alot of baby quilts, good luck

There are some wonderful panel prints out there, and a number have smaller blocks to go with it. Those are easy to put together, and to make it special, you could hand quilt it. I usually follow the outlines of the object in each block and hand quilt those. Make it extra special by doing a prairie point border, or piano key -- both very easy to do, and very 'showy'. You have lots of time to experiment. The Churn Dash block is wonderful to use the smaller blocks in the center, too, if you want some piecing in it. I totally agree with TanyaL, though -- make it a BABY quilt, not a smaller version of an adult quilt, by using baby prints, colors, etc. Should use very high quality fabric as the quilt will be washed many, many times, and be dragged around by baby. Enjoy the process, though - those are fun to make!

Blog Entries
    Take your favorite block and enlarge the pieces to like 6 /8 inch grids and make an easy colorful quilt..
    weather vane is a good one or carpenters star I believe. Polka dots and strips for grand border and you should be ready to quilt . God bless the me one.

Blog Entries
    I just made the disappearing 9 patch with Missouri Quilt tute....love it and sooo easy. That's one I'm planning making again. Great choice!!

Quote Originally Posted by jtquilts View Post
    This would be the easiest way to make a darling baby quilt!
    I agree. Marshall's Dry Goods have beautiful, inexpensive baby panels.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast