Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a new - good iron - any recommendations? >

I need a new - good iron - any recommendations?

I need a new - good iron - any recommendations?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I have Shark and it does a good job. However, it is not a auto shutoff and I am now paranoid about pulling the plug when I'm done.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

I have a Black and Decker Digital Advantage and I've been pleased with it.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I have Shark and it does a good job. However, it is not a auto shutoff and I am now paranoid about pulling the plug when I'm done.
I plug my iron and a floor lamp into a power strip in my sewing room. That way, I have to turn the light off with the switch on the power strip so I know that my iron will never be left on if I'm not in the room.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I plug my iron and a floor lamp into a power strip in my sewing room. That way, I have to turn the light off with the switch on the power strip so I know that my iron will never be left on if I'm not in the room.
Me too. My iron and lamp are plugged into a socket controlled by a light switch--when I leave the room the light (and iron) gets switched off!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
Me too. My iron and lamp are plugged into a socket controlled by a light switch--when I leave the room the light (and iron) gets switched off!
I started out doing it that way but a lot of times I am in my sewing room not needing to use my iron. I just hated to turn it on when I went into the room if I wasn't going to use it. Switch is on the floor by the door so it is the last thing I do before I shut the door.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 PM

I bought a Shark (the $100 one on sale for $50) and I don't like it because it is heavy and shuts off every few minutes which drives me crazy. I have a Russel Hobbs ($20)which changes colour at different temperatures and shuts off after 15 minutes and a Toastmaster ($12)which is a good weight but doesn't shut off. I like both of these better than my poor unloved and rarely used Shark. I think it's going to the guild Auction in September!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:02 PM

Rowenta, but make sure its one from germany. Check the box before you buy it. Have had mine for about 5 years, even has the automatic shut off but heats up super quick so it doesn't bother me. Absolutely love mine. Mine takes tap water, but I use half distilled since I have hard water
Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 PM

I agree with you about the cutting off part. Just about the time I get ready to go to the iron, it cuts off and then I have to start all over.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:39 PM

I have had a Rowenta Steam Generator from 12 years without any problems. It recently died. I was going to get the one that they have a Joanns or Bed, Bath and Beyond. Until I talked to some of my friend that have that model. All of them say it spits water and is terrible. I decided to take the plunge and get the newest Rowenta Steam Generator. Got it from Amazon. The model I had was made in France. The one that leaks was made in China. The new model I got is made in France. I love it. The wonderful thing about it is that you can add water without shuting it off and waiting for it to cool. I wouldn't be without my steam generator.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:05 PM

I found a Proctor Silex Model 17320 at a thrift store. It makes lots of steam, holds a good bit of water, gets hot, and was only $3! Tried one out at a timeshare and loved it so much I considered slipping in my suitcase.