Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need a plan for this fabric! >

I need a plan for this fabric!

I need a plan for this fabric!

Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 PM

You all are so wonderful!
Old 04-26-2016, 07:12 PM

The original BQ quilt by Maple Island is a good quilt for focus fabrics. https://www.createforless.com/Maple-...FQyNaQodiasKrg

This is one I made for my BIL as a comfort quilt.

Edited to add: I used a directional fabric for the focus fabrics and it did require a bit more thinking about how to lay the pattern out. There are two size blocks in the pattern and this is the larger one. I think it is 14" for the focus fabric.
Attached Thumbnails bq-matt.jpg  
Old 04-26-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I vote for Warm Wishes, too. It really focuses on the fabric. If you don't want the sneakers in the smaller squares you can pull a color out. I could see it with blue sashing around the large squares, white between the squares, red small squares and the sneaker fabric in the large squares. That gives you the patriotic theme. I would audition to see if you wanted tone on tone fabric or solids.
Love this idea!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:57 PM

Being Adult ADD as I am, I would have struggled over this until the last minute and then had to make an instaquilt. You all have helped me so much!

Thank you, thank you. God Bless you all!
Old 04-27-2016, 02:36 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548760[/ATTACH]I used a similar fabric for my son. I went linear and mixed it up with some other colorful fabrics. Pieced the back also. The warm wishes pattern is nice but I think it can read a little young for a man. Mixing with other fabrics that aren't the same type of novelty will mature the quilt a little. Everyone leaving home for the first time wants to look mature. Good luck and congrats on your grandsons success
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 04-27-2016, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

There is so much potential in using that fabric. I love the snowball/nine patch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548762[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails christophers-deer-quilt-3.jpg  
Old 04-27-2016, 04:01 AM

There was one posted just within the past few days that would be wonderful with the fabric you have. I believe it was titled Tunnel Vision and used the yardage as a panel and then bordered out with graded color that truly made it appear like looking down a tube.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
How about Warm Wishes? gender neutral and it will showcase the fabric nicely.
Seeing the print and the RWB color theme, Warm Wishing was my first thought.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GramE View Post
Paperprincess suggested this one too, and I really like the style. And you liked the tennis shoes too!

did you leave the unsashed squares at 6"? What was the finished size? I'm trying to gather fabrics & calculate how much to order. I think I'm putting the black & white version on the back.

beautiful quilt!
Yes, 6" cut on what I call the cornerstone. The sashing is the same width but with the length of 8.5", you can only get 5 sets cut from on strip set. I make a lot of charity quilts for Foster kids in Southern California and I have been holding this quilt since they have created and housing facility for kids who want to go to college. Our system literally kicks out the kids when they turn 18 by turning off the cash flow. So I haven't gotten in touch to see if they need some twin size quilts, then I could add an outside border. I prefer larger size blocks because you can get a quilt done more quickly. Here is how I drew it out on EQ7.
Attached Thumbnails warm-wishes-shoes.jpg  
Old 04-27-2016, 04:57 AM

You can't go wrong with rw&b BUT Coasties are a breed apart (and I mean that in the nicest way). Think orange and a less dark or more aqua blue. That's more typical of the Coast Guard. Take a look at their ships and equipment, even their emblems. My son went to the CGA and orange was everywhere with that sea blue and white. If those are in your print and I do see orange, I'd pull from those over red and blue. The white, of course works anywhere!

I love ManiacQuilter2's layout. I was going to suggest a Potato Chip Pattern to show off your great print but her idea is fantastic! And Twinkie's snowball nine patch has it going on as well but I do think that the prize for showing off your fabric goes to MQ2's quilt idea.

Kudos to your son! I hope he finds the CG as amazing a "family" of humanitarians as my son did. Semper Paratus! PM me if you have coastie questions. I don't know everything but I may be able to answer some questions.