Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need some encouragement on my quilting... >

I need some encouragement on my quilting...

I need some encouragement on my quilting...

Old 04-16-2013, 12:35 PM

Watch a few videos already mentioned here - make a few sandwiches and just it a try. Nothing to lose and lots of $$$ to gain when you get comfortable. My tip for the day - first FMQ quilt should be not too big, a little busy, with a print backing - you'll never see your mistakes and it will still look darn good.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM

As all of the other posters have said, practice is the key. And it won't be pretty the first few times you attempt it, so don't start on anything of value....try practice sandwiches about the size of fat quarters at first to just get the hang on what you are doing. I know I am my own worst critic and do lots of ripping when I really don't need to. Remember to have fun and keep at it, even when you think you will never get it!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:48 PM

Leah day is a great teacher : http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...tart-here.html
She also has a class in craftys.com
Be ready to practice a LOT. I have been at it for months now, getting better but still not ready to do it on a real quilt yet. But, I have hope I will get there eventually.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 PM

Everything the above posters say is all good advice. But don't let yourself feel bad about sending your tops out to be quilted either. Long-armers are professional and can make a pretty top a beautiful quilt. I have 'quilted by check' a few times. Yes, it can be pricey, but I'm not good enough yet to do elaborate quilting.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM

So far my quilting has all been for family and friends who are very forgiving of any bobbles. I've done SID, straight line diagonal across the squares, wavy lines either horizontal or diagonal, all with the walking foot on my Featherweight. When hand quilting I've also done freehand wonky stars and hearts. Some day I may branch out into more elaborate designs as I feel more comfortable with what I'm doing so far.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM

This is something I'm in the process of learning myself. Just remember how much you have learned since you started sewing - and what did it take to get as good as you are? Practice. I just meandered a quilt for my grandson - Peaky and Spike live in that quilt but now that it is on the bed it is hard to find those spots. I will get better with practice. Buy some good books and read all you can about FMQ - it all helps. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by girliegirl View Post
I have posted pictures of my quilts, everyone says they are beautiful and I do nice work... I send them out to be machine quilted.. I am finding that you gals/guys use your regular sewing machines to quilt? I have not tried it yet, I am afraid of screwing up! what and how should I go about this? a small one? should I drop the feeddogs and just go at it? or walking foot it and then what? I must look like an idiot.............. maybe hands one class? I can hand quilt in a big frame, but I will never get it done..........
All what was said here, and your work is gorgeous, this board always gives me the confidence I need!
Old 04-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
I found a hands on class was very helpful to get me started. After that, it is just practice, practice, practice. Start on somethings small, wall hanging, placemat, and then move on to something larger as you feel more comfortable. Or just start with batting between two pieces of muslin or a fabric with flowers or something large to practice going around. If you are going to do FMQ, drop the feed dogs and put a darning foot on. If you are going to do SID, I find it helpful to use a walking foot. Practice and I'm sure you will be surprised how quickly you pick it up. Relax and go for it!
My thoughts exactly. There is an online class from Crafts.com "Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine". Worth the cost as you can go back at any time and use it over and over. You may also ask the instructor questions and she gets right back to you. I learned a lot from her class.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:02 PM

You can learn lots from Leah Day online. I machine lap size quilts and smaller with my home machine and a walking foot, even curved designs. I practice with pieces that are placemat size, layered just like a quilt. When I'm done, I have a placemat for human or pet
Old 04-16-2013, 04:05 PM

I don't look at the board real often and I don't know where to see your quilts. Can you point me in the right direction?
Thanks, Susan