Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need some encouragement on my quilting... >

I need some encouragement on my quilting...

I need some encouragement on my quilting...

Old 04-16-2013, 04:15 PM

If there is a FMQ class in your area I would sign up. You should sandwich some quilt squares with batting & practice FMQ & using your walking foot until you feel comfortable enough to do a small quilt. You can also stencil or draw designs on the sandwiches & follow it. I can't afford to send my quilts out, so I quilt my own. Although, there are a couple longarmers on the board that I'd love to send a quilt.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Grab some old yucky fabric or old unused pillowcases or sheets to use for practice. I even used stained t shirts to practice on. Then move to mini quilts or table toppers. The smaller the item, the easier to handle. Once you are comfortable, slowly move up in size. Get a few books on the subject. I took 2 craftsy classes. Do lots of practice.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 PM

Before I got my long arm, I quilted on my sewing machine. I didn't take a class but really think it would have made the whole process of learning a lot less painful. As it was, I just sat down with a muslin quilt sandwich and some bright red thread and quilted away until I had gotten a stitch that I could live with. The thing is, doing bigger quilts is always a nightmare. There are still times when I prefer to use my sewing machine--when I'm doing small projects such as purses, for example. It just doesn't seem worthwhile to load up the longarm for that. By all means, though, if you can take a class, do it. You'll learn faster that way and with less aggravation.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM

As several people have mentioned, Leah Day is wonderful. Check out her website for some great information, then take the leap...it is fun, really!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 PM

You need encouragement! Well Girl! You came to the right place! These Board ladies know how to dish it out!

My recommendations:
1. Quilt charity quilts. The recepients will love getting your quilting.
2. Take a local class with an encouraging (if she's not encouraging, put it behind you and find another) instructor who gives you plenty of time for experience
3. Try something easy first. Say, a sepentine stitch at some angle across the quilt not hitting any intersections, using a walking foot made specifically for your machine. It doesn't need to be in "straight" lines, just lines.
4. Give yourself permission to be less than perfect.
5. Enjoy what you're doing
6. Reward yourself for taking this new step
7. Do not point out any errors (and there will be some), just learn from them.
8. Reward yourself
9. Reward yourself
10. Celebrate
Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 AM

I quilted on my regular machine for years, but my friend from our guild got a long arm and started a business and I have sent several quilts to her. I was afraid I would not like NOT having 'control' of the entire project - including the quilting,but I have to tell you- NOT having to get a queen size quilt pinned properly and wrestle it under the machine for hours was great! I got it back ready to bind, and it was so fun. I do quilt smaller projects and wall hangings mostly because in those smaller projects I quilt more decoratively, but I will never again wrestle a bed quilt!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:24 AM

Marti Mitchell has a book about quilting a quilt in sections that is very good. Ann Pederson teaches a Crafty class on Quilting Large Projects on a Small Machine that is outstanding as far as I am concerned. Doing a large quilt can be a real challenge. But, if you do it in sections, it becomes very manageable because the bulk is sitting on the flat surface to the left of your machine. I am doing a queen size right now. The quilt top was in three sections, I divided and marked the batting into three similar sections and I did leave the backing in one piece. I only had to move through the machine from top to bottom or visa-versa. I did the center section first and added the right section and then the left. It was a very controlled process and easy to do. I stabilized the sections with STID. Some quilting was done with the design drawn on paper from a roll purchased at the medical supply store and part was FMQ. It was not difficult-just organized.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

Right now I just practice on my DSM with stars and SID. I have a cousin who is a LAer and said she would do it for me for the cost of threads but I don't play that game. If it's something small I'll do it, if I can on my DSM but I'll send the bigger out to her. I will pay her price because she's worth it to me.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 AM

Take a class if available in your area...Then get some cheap muslin and batting scraps and practice, practice and practice some more. That's what I did and now I can do them good enough for myself. I've looked at some quilts that have been long armed and when I inspect their stitches I find that they are no better than mine. Do what pleases you.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 AM
Banned

Whatever else you do as you begin quilting on your DSM, PLEASE buy a pair of Machingers gloves, and wear them whenever you're quilting (you'll have to take them off occasionally for a few tasks but they slip right back on easily). They do a great job of creating enough friction so your fingers don't lose their grip on your project, whether it's practice sandwiches or your actual quilt. Yet they're lightweight--after you've used them a few times you won't even notice they're there. PLEASE!

Dana