Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need some help with the 5 min block

I need some help with the 5 min block

I see the u tub on this 5 min block. I look like all her strips are the same. But I try it they never come out like that is it the inch's . I have 3 the long one is the size I wont the one that look like it was just junk cloth I was playing with any one know how long and wide she is going on this
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have never done this block, so I can't help you right now. Will look at the the video later and if you have no response, I will see if I can help you. Right now I have to go back to watch a triathalon, my grand daughters are in it.

Oh thank you. Hum grand kid are help I would pick grand kid ever time lol

Blog Entries
    OK I haven't done this, but I looked on the youtube site. 1st one you did looks good, 2nd one you did the fabric pieces were not wide enough. 3rd one fabric too wide. If I had to guess, I would say that the fabric is twice as long as it is wide. so you would have 4x8, 3x6 etc. hope this helps.
    Side note: If you make flying geese using this method, make sure you have the middle fabric 1/2 inch shorter so you don't loose the point on the end.
    Last edited by diamondee; 07-21-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: more added

Hi, my suggestion would be to go to Ricki Timms YouTube for 3D flying geese It is the same block but he gives very clear size instructions. Basically he gives you the formula to make any size and it is
    so easy to follow. Good Luck
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

Blog Entries
    I have made the 5 minute block with much success using measurements from a board member. I used 4 1/2 by 8 1/2. I am sure that you can use different measurements but have not tried any others. I also recommend the Ricky Timms video on you tube for the flying geese. Good luck!!
    quilter711
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    Looks like you are placing the middle fabric at the length end instead of the width.
    Got fabric?

thank you all . See I know this was the place to go. I should not have cut it all out. I have 3 by 8 so if I take that 8 down to 6 it should work XXX that my finger lol thank you

Someone posted in another discussion about this block that the pieces are 4-1/2 x 8-1/2, but the middle piece is a 4-3/4 square. It seems to me it shouldn't matter how long the blocks are (6-1/2 or 8-1/2), but the extra quarter inch of the middle piece makes it or breaks it.

Here's the link to that discussion. Look on page 4, post 35...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...t193902-4.html

But I haven't tried it yet, so I could be wrong. I'm going to look for the Ricky Timms tute.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlummi View Post
    thank you all . See I know this was the place to go. I should not have cut it all out. I have 3 by 8 so if I take that 8 down to 6 it should work XXX that my finger lol thank you
    I made a sample block after watching the video. I calculated that if I used 6-1/2" by 3-1/2" strips, I would get a square of 6-1/2 inches. The key is to get two strip widths that will give you the same measurement as your length after subtracting out the two (2) 1/4" seam allowances. So, 3-1/2" times 2 equals 7". Subtract 1/2" for the two seam allowances and you get 6-1/2", which equals the length of the strip. If you have 3" wide strips, now, you may want to try a sample with 5-1/2" lengths. So, 3" times 2 equals 6" ... subtract 1/2" for the seam allowances and you get a 5-1/2" block.

This block is new to me, also. I think I am on the right track, but others may have suggestions.

Cathy

5 minute block

I, too, watched the video and she does show 3 equally sized pieces of fabric, but that did not turn out for me. I cut mine 6 1/2 x 4 1/2 and it did not turn out like hers in the video. So, I pressed the block and cut off the 1 inch that overlapped and it turned out well. I still can not figure out how she did the 3 equal pieces of fabric and made it work??? Below is my version that I am working on.
    Last edited by oma66; 07-22-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Power Poster
    Hmmmmm, I wonder if it was left out so it drives you crazy and you buy the book? Your blocks are looking good oma66.

that one is nice that how big I was try to get .

lol ya that what she is thinking. I got it the one you fold has to be at lest 2 1/2 bigger then the others.

Ok thank you all it got it.

Blog Entries
    Looks the same as two of the one seam flying geese units sewn together. Ricky Timms shows in detail how to make it and isn't selling a book about it because it's an old English method that has been around forever how to make the bow tie design. The ten minute block is a spin off of this and this 5 min block seems to be a spin off of the 10 min block.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    If you look below the video on u tube the measurements are 5 1/4 x 10. On Ricky Timms they are smaller. I used the 5 1/4 x 10 and it worked
    Last edited by duckydo; 07-23-2012 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Grandma View Post
    Hi, my suggestion would be to go to Ricki Timms YouTube for 3D flying geese It is the same block but he gives very clear size instructions. Basically he gives you the formula to make any size and it is
    so easy to follow. Good Luck
    This is the one I would go to also!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I saw that first by Ricky Tims, he called it a one seam flying goose. Looks pretty simple. I am try to figure out the 10 minute block. I have watch the video on u tube may time but it just hasn't sunk in yet.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    Someone posted in another discussion about this block that the pieces are 4-1/2 x 8-1/2, but the middle piece is a 4-3/4 square. It seems to me it shouldn't matter how long the blocks are (6-1/2 or 8-1/2), but the extra quarter inch of the middle piece makes it or breaks it.

Here's the link to that discussion. Look on page 4, post 35...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...t193902-4.html

But I haven't tried it yet, so I could be wrong. I'm going to look for the Ricky Timms tute.
    The middle piece is not a square block, they all look to be the same size, or very close. you need a rectangle to get the cathedral window effect

I use charm squares to make a 10 minute block and it works perfectly every time. I've neber tried a 5 minute block, but it seems that the same principle would work. I love Ricky Timms videos, btw. He is so clear and concise and his instructions are excellent.

Blog Entries
    Looks just half of the 10 Minute Block to me. I just made 25 of the 10 Minute Blocks using 10" squares (5 per square).
    TwandasMom

If you read the comments on the youtube video for the 5 minute blocks, the pieces are not all the same size. Suzanne McNeill gives the measurements in the comments.
    ...Each quilt requires different sizes of squares/rectangles to make the blocks. There are 12 different quilts in the book, plus the bonus of different settings. To get you started, the blue/green quilt on the video used 5 1/4" x 10" for large blocks or 2 7/8" x 5 1/4" for small blocks. Enjoy and thanks for asking. The book with variations will be available August 1st on the Design Originals website. ...
    You can see the video & read the comments here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIxl3...hannel&list=UL

Ricky Tims gives measurements for flying geese block:
    His are 3" squares with a 3"x5-1/2" rectangle

the assembly is basically the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Mu0C_QL8Y

Hope this helps you with your blocks.

Suzanne's books are wonderful

I see the u tub on this 5 min block. I look like all her strips are the same. But I try it they never come out like that is it the inch's . I have 3 the long one is the size I wont the one that look like it was just junk cloth I was playing with any one know how long and wide she is going on this
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Looking at your photos...you are laying out the pieces wrong to start.
    You need three pieces that measure 5-1/4" wide x 10" long...so cut 1 of each color you want. Let's call white the color of the "goose".

Lay out color one (the blue floral in your pic) right side up on your table.

Fold the white "Goose" piece in half so that it forms a 5" x 5-1/4" piece.
    PRESS it in half, matching the cut edges exactly...making sure the fold is pressed.

Now, lay the cut edges at the top of the first piece you laid out on the table (blue floral, right side up).
    You want the folded edge to the middle of the long piece.

Now, lay the last long piece (green & red strawberries in your pic) on top of the "Goose" (being careful not to disturb the white goose piece), with the wrong side up.

Pin if you need to, making sure all cut edges at the top edge match....

Now, sew down one long side, starting at the top edge..with a 1/4" seam.

Open out the piece...PRESS the seam to one side from the front, then fold out the white "goose", making sure the folded out tips meet with each of the long fabrics at the right and left upper edge. Your pressed fold will give you your center. PRESS the goose flat.

NOTE: PRESSING is very important in making this block!
    Hope this helps!

Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot automated quilter
    http://www.Lmcampbel.com

Blog Entries
    I guess i made some of mine 5 minute blks and didn't know it. I was playing around doing 10 minute ones and just didn't fold it out completely when sewing. got a folded flying geese that way. or 5 minute blk. so many name changes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast