Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some help...

Hi all,
    I started an applique quilt...my first... and now I'm stuck.
    The pattern says to fuse the pieces on, which I did, but now what? Do I stitch them on before I make the "sandwich" or do I wait? The flowers need some details stitched on also, but should I do it now or when I'm quilting it? I'm so confused and don't know what to do next.... help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have no idea, but you quilt is looking beautiful! Hopefully someone will come along soon that know about this.

Gramadona: If it was me I would do all the stitching before it is quilted. If you do it now you can turn your work to get to the stitched you need and add the detail easyer. and you don't have to be careful not to get in to the backing. It look great so have fun and happy quilting.

Blog Entries
    Yes, you can now secure the fused pieces to the background. Your choices depend on your machine and your style. You can do basic threadplay to add some texture to the petals. You can do a decorative outline stitch all around the shapes (I like either blanket stitch, zig-zag stitch or a tight satin stitch). Or, you can do a basic straight stitch (sort of like a top stitch) all around the edge of each shape. You can either match the color of thread to the color of the patch - or you can use a contrasting thread across all colors. Just have fun.

Machine stitch the edges with a blanket stitch, or you can use decorative stitches on your machine, or a combination of both, embroidery accents, beadwork, ect....Many creative ways to complete your piece.....and it is beautiful!!!

Fusing isn't permanent!!! I warn customers all the time. :) Try going the edges with you machine...you could also blanket stitch by hand. Great piece!

If you decide to use a machine satin stitch around each piece you may wish to use a stabalizer underneath such as stitch and tear. I have heard used fabric dryer sheets work too but have no personal experience with those. I have always gotten some unsightly puckers when trying to satin stitch without it. This is beautiful by the way and I like you color choices alot better then the pattern picture.

Yes do everything before you sandwich...stitch around all appliques to hold them in place and do your decortive stitching

Blog Entries
    You do have another option. I only do the tops of my quilts, and send them to a quilter (fabulous) who does
    "raw-edge applique." Trusting her, I sent my iron-on applique top to her. She not only secured the edges, she did all the detail work that you see here. It caught my breath when I opened the package from the post office. She turned it into a work of art! IMHO
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lovin' the poppies!

There is another way to do it and that's add batting and do fancy stitches around your applique. Then when you get the top done you add a whole piece of batting and backing and quilt. We are learning this technique in a Bernina
    Features Class I am taking. It's a real learning experience. We do a new block each month, and the blocks are spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by star619
    You do have another option. I only do the tops of my quilts, and send them to a quilter (fabulous) who does
    "raw-edge applique." Trusting her, I sent my iron-on applique top to her. She not only secured the edges, she did all the detail work that you see here. It caught my breath when I opened the package from the post office. She turned it into a work of art! IMHO
    Your chicken quilt is spectacular! Would love to see some closeups of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Yes do everything before you sandwich...stitch around all appliques to hold them in place and do your decortive stitching
    I agree, much easier this way. Beautiful design by the way.

Oh, thank you all! I appreciate the info so much.
    I was getting close to panic mode and couldn't find much help in the few books that I've got here. I knew I could count on you for guidance.
    Star619 your chicken quilt is fabulous! And it definitely IS a work of art.
    Thanks everyone.

I love your quilt, good job for your first try!! Do the stitching before the quilt sandwich, zig zag or fancier stitches. It was much easier for me to do it that way. For some reason, my fancier stitches don't work as well when going through the quilt sandwich layers.

This is going to be lovely. I generally prefer to do most of the stitching before I sandwich the fabric and start quilting. Just remember that anything you stitch after you sandwich the fabric will show on your quilt backing.

Blog Entries
    Love your choice of colors, it's going to be gorgeous! Star 619, did you make that beautiful chicken quilt for ME??:-)
    Just kidding, but not kidding about it being beatiful!

I don't have an answer but your quilt is really pretty.

Blog Entries
    Stitch before and depending on the stitch you use you may need the stabilizer behind. I use the tight satin stitch and wall paper liner from Lowe's as the stabilizer. It tears away after stitching. Your poppies are looking great. Also love Maggie Walker's chickens.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    The poppies are EYE POPPING!!! Gorgeous!

Power Poster
    Your poppies are gorgeous! You've gotten some great advice and I thought I'd add my two cents worth. I would do raw edge applique where you use matching thread on each piece stitching a 1/16 to 1/8 inside the pieces. I knot the thread ends and pull then to the back to be hidden in the quilt sandwich. The edges of the pieces will fray up to the stitching and add to the effect. Do your thread play accents before quilting too because the back will look neater.
    When you quilt your piece, you can add the quilting where you want without trying to stitch through each piece to anchor it. That said, do what YOU think will look best, if you are going to frame it and not wash it , it won't matter.

Have done applique before and tried to do this after I sandwiched everything together..... NEVER AGAIN UGHHH!!!! Never have I had such a hard time manuvering things around. I would sew around the flowers and whatever else you want to applique before sandwiching it all together and then when you are quilting then you can put in the detail and it will show up really nice on the back if you want it to. Hope this helps you not to have the same headache that I have had. Jennifer

Blog Entries
    Wow, that is so pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by star619
    Love your chickens!

You have plenty of good ideas here. I'll just add my two cents. I always use blanket stitch around my appliques. You can do a couple of straight stitches first to secure it, then blanket stitch right over the top of the straight stitches. You won't see them. I've done this with satin stitch too, but I think blanket stitch ends up looking better, especially if you haven't done it a lot. You must stitch down all raw edges so they don't pull up. Then you can do your decorative top stitches. When that' all done, make the quilt sandwich and quilt away!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast