Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need some help

I'm the mom of two Army soldiers. My daughter is absolutely opposed to using camo, especially differently colored camo, for any clothing. She say "Camo is not a fashion statement." Soldiers are usually VERY patriotic and have strong feelings about what they do, and many times about the uniform and what it stands for.

I think it would be very important to make sure mom and dad think pink camo is adorable or inappropriate. I also think if they are in favor, that just a little would go a long way. Maybe small hearts?

Also I'm very much in agreement with the sentiments of just making a baby quilt. The military may be their occupation but I don't think I'd want my baby having apples and chalkboards, etc. just because I'm a teacher. Think of nurses, doctors, car salesmen, secretaries as themes for quilts. Not much appeal.
    http://q-nonnie.blogspot.com

I have this rope in my hands. I can't figure out whether I found a rope or lost my horse.

Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    They will love anything you make. I would make it for a little girl. Instead of something military looking. INMHO
    I agree. I have friends in the service and even though they are patriotic, it doesn't mean they want everything in red, white and blue. Just a sweet baby theme would be fine!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I said in another thread, I never ask the parents what colors they want, I just make a baby quilt and surprise them. I've never had anyone say they didn't like the colors or wish I chose different colors. I agree with what someone else said. Don't tell them you are making a quilt. Just make one you like.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I like to make baby quilts that can be used when the child is older so no 'baby' patterns for me except when I did some hand embroidered ABC quilts. But those take a year to embroider.
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
    I would say that just because they are in the military they don't still like things that nonmilitary personnel like, lol. Just pick a pattern that any new mommy would like. (I was in the Texas National Guard) Gina
    Totally agree. My son and daughter-in-law are both career military. I always go with what my daughter-in-law would like - something pretty and frilly for my granddaughter. Go with what the new mom would like! Happy quilting.

Another thought would to make it a reversible quilt. Girly on one side & military on the other. That way she (they) could have the best of both worlds in one quilt.

I think I would go with super prissy little girl. The last thing I wanted to see when I came home from work was anything job related.

Thanks Guys and gals for all the input i think i have the right pattern in mind now and i know that grandma and parents will love it.
    Barefoot Quilter
    april

As a retired military wife, I never even considered military themed stuff for any of my boys or for my girl, not even for my husband!

You can't go wrong with alphabet or counting or I Spy. And those will be appropriate long past infancy.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

When i made my first baby quilt it was for my daughter that was due with twins so i had to do two What i done was hand embroided mother goose nursey rymes and since i did not know if they were grils or boy's i use colors like yellow, browns and other neutral colors I put flannel on the back Now it is my morm to make the first baby for the famiy with the nursey rymes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2