Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your help with applique >

I need your help with applique

I need your help with applique

Old 06-23-2017, 07:29 PM

I am not an applique guru by any stretch it is one of my least favorite techniques. When I do it I either do the interfacing method I talked about or thin cardboard shapes (if I'm doing lots of the same shape) that I baste the thread around the shape and pull over cardboard to tighten the shape press, starch, press, cool, remove the cardboard and use a straight top stitch at the very edge of the turned edge to sew down.
My favorite one I did w/ the second technique is a Sunbonnet Sue version of Abbey Road. I also do dresdens (already turned so quite easy, and epp hexies, penties, or long hexies that I have joined and removed the papers and sew down like I described.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:14 AM
pal

I do the interfacing technique, but use fabric instead of the interfacing. That little bit of white showing around the outside of the appliqué drives me nuts! You could use black fabric and if any of it showed, it would look like a shadow. Also, I hand appliqué using the same stitch as I use when hand sewing down the binding. No stitches show.