Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need your help with applique >

I need your help with applique

I need your help with applique

Old 06-21-2017, 02:55 AM

Default I need your help with applique

I have done very little applique and need suggestions on this project. I am making a bookcase quilt for my daughter and planned to fussy cut the books/cats from these two fabric and place onto the shelves. Should I use wonder under to place them before I sew them in place? And then do you suggest a satin stitch to hold them more securely? I may be in over my head with this idea, so any suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails bookcase-quilt-project-036.jpg   bookcase-quilt-project-037.jpg  
Old 06-21-2017, 03:33 AM

It really depends on whether this quilt will be used as a bed quilt or as a hanging, and whether it will be washed. When I do applique, I always use a small amount of spray adhesive to put the item where I want it and then I use the needle-turn method to sew it down.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:49 AM

Like Artsy said how is it going to be used wall hanging or bed? Are you wanting to machine applique or hand? How good are you w/ your zig zag setting? If you go the "wonder under" and zig zag method I've heard there are some types / brands that allow the quilt to be washable w/o fraying, however keep in mind any of those products I have ever tried will add stiffness to your quilt.

Those pieces are big enough I would put a very thin backing. Put the thin liner on the front of the printed fabric sew around the outline of your pictures, make a cut in the center of liner only and turn right sides out press the edges and stitch around the edge of the applique (I am good w/ my straight stitch so that is what I use) I use Elmers school stick glue to hold my applique in place instead of pins.

No matter which method you go with do a small practice one to see how you manage the techniques and if you can live w/ the "feel" of the end quilt.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

I might wonder under the kittens with a buttonhole or similar stitch to sew the edge.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:28 AM

Thank you ladies ~ it will be a couch throw and need washing from time to time; I planned to do machine sewing. Kassaundra, when you mention a very thin lining, do you mean a thinner weight of Wonder Under or is there another product I should be looking to use? I will try that method first.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:32 AM

Duh, I guess you must have meant a thin interfacing fabric placed on the right side of the print. See, I told you I wasn't too good with applique.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

I would use a fusible, like wonder under or heat n bond lite. I would Not use a satin stitch. I would use a small blanket stitch or small zigzag. I ( personally) hate the heavy, stiff satin stitch on quilts. I do tons of appliqué, most often use a small blanket stitch. I've made ones that have held up through much use and laundering for 15+ years.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:31 PM

Thank you for clarification. I am on my way and hopefully will be able to send a picture in the future.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I would use a fusible, like wonder under or heat n bond lite. I would Not use a satin stitch. I would use a small blanket stitch or small zigzag. I ( personally) hate the heavy, stiff satin stitch on quilts..
Satin stitching doesn't have to be heavy and stiff. Mine isn't. I use a 60 wt thread and set to a narrow width. No overlapping and careful corners. It lies soft and velvety, thin and flat.

Now, with heavier thread, it would be another story.

Hugs,
Charlotte
Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 PM

Yes this is what I meant I HATE fusible applique and almost never do it. It is so hard and stiff I just can't bring myself to do it. Also the zig zag / satin stitch is not my friend.
Originally Posted by Carol in WI View Post
Duh, I guess you must have meant a thin interfacing fabric placed on the right side of the print. See, I told you I wasn't too good with applique.