Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Never Thought I Would Build a Stash! >

I Never Thought I Would Build a Stash!

I Never Thought I Would Build a Stash!

Old 04-14-2013, 02:57 AM
Power Poster

How true, how true.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:49 AM

I think the term hoarder refers to a total inability to throw anything away coupled with an inability to organize the growing accumulation. As quilters we seem to function best when we have well organized accumulations of fabric and quilting essentials at hand. Many of us have methods of keeping that control of our quilting stuff. I try to stay ahead of scraps, etc as I finish each project. If you quilt you most certainly accumulate a stash. It just happens. If you throw it out you are throwing away useful stuff that cost a fair bit of money. So, save it in a stash, use from your stash or give it to an organization who can and will use it.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:24 AM

Love my stash, when I get to make a quilt without buying any fabric for it. If I was hoarding, then I would never use my stash. That is the difference. Besides, my stash did keep me busy this winter with the storms. I completed a couple of quilts when it was hard to get out in all the snow we had this year and had to wait for the plows.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:07 AM

QM: Love the way your guild chooses to handle your members UFO's and stash. Seems to me better than any memorial service I've ever been too. Makes me want to find a guild.
I always think of hoarding as accumulating things that give no pleasure and take away more from the quality of life than they give. Most of us get alot of pleasure from our stash, I know I sure do. Collecters not hoarders, thats what we are.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
QM: Love the way your guild chooses to handle your members UFO's and stash. Seems to me better than any memorial service I've ever been too. Makes me want to find a guild.
I always think of hoarding as accumulating things that give no pleasure and take away more from the quality of life than they give. Most of us get alot of pleasure from our stash, I know I sure do. Collecters not hoarders, thats what we are.
Perfectly said Emma!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:04 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

LOL Ellegirl.. welcome to the stash club. One never knows when one will need that certain piece of fabric and then heaven help us if we don't have it .. LOL
Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 AM

I just bought four fabric patterns on line when I only wanted two and couldn't make up my mind. I feel so guilty!!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 AM

Ellegirl - One can NEVER have too much fabric. I firmly believe that fabrics multiply in the dark after we have gone to bed at night.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the info
Old 04-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

I've been called a hoarder by my DH a time or two, especially when we were packing up our 3-bedroom home moving to a 2-bedroom apt. In my defense, people were always giving me fabric once they knew I quilted, including my dear sister and when she passed away I inherited her stash. That's not to say that I'm not guilty of buying too much fabric when it was on sale, but back then I was working and DH had a good job. Now that we've "downsized" I do go "shopping" in my "stash" when beginning a project, then if I need some additional fabric I go to JoAnn's and sometimes shop online. Quilting is my passion, when I don't quilt I get very, very cranky, however, I have also made many, many charity quilts that were given to hospitals, for children who are ill.