Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Never Thought I Would Build a Stash! >

I Never Thought I Would Build a Stash!

I Never Thought I Would Build a Stash!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by helenhiwater View Post
I just bought four fabric patterns on line when I only wanted two and couldn't make up my mind. I feel so guilty!!
Well, then, I suggest that as penance, you make up all four patterns! LOL
Old 04-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
No, hoarding rules do not apply to quilting. I have a very large stash. When I get a great idea at 2 am, I can go shopping in my well sorted stash and start immediately. I love it. My family and local charities appreciate the results.

BTW, my guild has a custom that when a guild member is no longer able to quilt, the fabric is sold to guild sisters at absurd prices. When a guild member dies, UFOs are finished for the family by the guild and the guild gets the stash for guild projects, which includes supplying fabric to very low income members.
What a great idea! Good way to keep the love flowing and the girls sewing!
Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 PM

I never intended to build a stash. Figured I would buy the fabrics I wanted for each particular quilt. But then I found myself really liking a particular fabric, so I would buy a little here and there. Then my good friends mother had to go to a nursing home with Alzheimer's. When he was cleaning out her house in Colorado, he said she had a lot of 'material'. I told him I would be interested in anything that was 100% cotton, so he loaded it all up and brought it back to Texas. I now have 10 big boxes of all kinds of fabrics, but she was meticulous in the way she packed everything. There is a piece of tissue between each piece of fabric and although the boxes were labeled, I can tell there are different types of fabric in each box. There are cottons, silks, flannels, poly's and probably some blends. I am going to have to do a burn test to determine what most of them are. But needless to say, I will have a stash beyond my what I would have ever imagined. These are all yardages. 2-4 yds each. Guess I will be donating a lot to the quilt guild.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:12 PM

I can relate to luvtoquilt. Quilting changed me forever! Even if I never use all the fabric I've accumulated, I love to look at it, touch it, and imagine what I might do with it; hopefully one day, I will use it to make beautiful quilts. Ane of course, we can always sell on Ebay what we don't think we will use I am glad to sometimes be able to bless others with fabric. We have a sewing group at church, and some of the younger women want to make things for their children, but don't have a lot of money for extras. So it is nice to bring in fabric I was able to purchase at a good price, and share.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:51 AM

When I travel I always seek out quilt shops and usually get some fabric as my souvenir from my trip. I either get something for a specific project or just my stash. It took me several years but I collected animal prints for a quilt for my daughter and now I'm collecting yellows, oranges for a quilt for another daughter. I'm also looking for music prints for a friend and I always check out the 1930's reproduction for myself. I have to operate on a budget to do this otherwise I'd buy out every store!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:57 AM

I have a few pieces that I purchased because I loved the fabric but the majority of fabric I purchase has a project purpose... I am trying to avoid a stash as much as possible.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:10 PM

If you sew at all you automatically accumulate stash! Maybe not as much as those of us who collect fabric as an auxiliary hobby though. LOL!