Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I ran away from home today. >

I ran away from home today.

I ran away from home today.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Man, I need to run away from home or send the boys on a fishing trip. I love when they all leave for a few days & I can do what ever I please. Last time my dd & I went, I cooked a lasagna, Mexican casserole & 2 doz burritos so they wouldn't starve. They are so helpless. We left on Friday nite & didn't come home till Sunday nite. We had the best time even though we were on 45 miles away. Everyone needs to run away sometime. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Am I the only one who feels the need to just run away once in a while?

You are NOT alone. I am on one of my runaway trips right now. Every summer I run away from home and responsibilites for 3 weeks. I come to WA and play with my grandsons (5 and 3). I have a ball. I think my husband enjoys it too as he is off playing golf and going to ball games without me. It works marvels for the marriage and I am enjoying bonding with these boys while they are still interested in spending time with Granna. The time will come soon enough when they will have interests and activities of their own. For now, I am enjoying it to the hilt.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:22 PM

I'm so lucky! The kids have finally moved out and my partner in crime and business is my SIL, (sister in law). She lives 4 hours away but we manage at least once a month to go fabric shopping. We pet and compare and plan and dream. Her DH kinda cringes when i pull up but he's getting used to it.
Then, we go home and cook dinner. *sigh. (It is fun while it lasts!)
Old 07-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

Seems I am not alone! When my garden is not enough of an "escape" it's great to just hop in the car and drive....explore fabric, thrift and antique stores...Wonder if they did a study on quilters and gardeners if they'd find us more "zen" than the general population?
Old 07-24-2009, 05:10 AM

No you are not alone!! Because my Mother lives with us now (has for the last 3 years) she can't be left alone overnight. Which means it is so hard to go anywhere. I've had to take her 120 miles to meet my brother so he can take her for a week or so and he has to drive a 120 miles to our meeting place too. Mother just can't take the ride anymore either. We finally found someone in our church this year that said she'd love to come stay with Mother and the 2 dogs. They got along just great! So DH and I hooked on to the camper and stopped and picked up our 6 year old grandson and went to Clinton lake up by Larance, KS, (KC, FT. Levenworth area) our youngest son met us out there every evening after he got out of school at Levenworth, and we had a ball!! We have't spent any time with our son in 4 years, and he and his nephew got to know each other. It was just a great trip, and I didn't have to worry about my Mom. I feel 10 years younger. Our 6 year old grandson is an entertament all by himself. :D :D
Old 07-24-2009, 08:29 AM

About once a quarter, my husband goes to a guitar convention somewhere (Dallas, Arlington, Austin) and is usually gone from Thursday evening until Sunday evening. Since we're empty-nesters, I get to run away to my favorite place -- home. After work on Thursday and Friday, I stop and get my favorite take-away Chinese and/or Mexican food And on Saturday and Sunday, it's Italian and Japanese! No kids, no phones, no questions, no cooking. Just me and my sewing machines. It's like a mini-vacation!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
About once a quarter, my husband goes to a guitar convention somewhere (Dallas, Arlington, Austin) and is usually gone from Thursday evening until Sunday evening. Since we're empty-nesters, I get to run away to my favorite place -- home. After work on Thursday and Friday, I stop and get my favorite take-away Chinese and/or Mexican food And on Saturday and Sunday, it's Italian and Japanese! No kids, no phones, no questions, no cooking. Just me and my sewing machines. It's like a mini-vacation!
That sounds sooooo wonderful. We, too, are empty nesters, but the flock lives closeby. The phone rings and my "plans" for ME are changed. I'm agreeable to it and I love it, but still, there is little me time. So running away, even if it was just for a few hours and a meal alone, was wonderful. I love my gang and I would do anything for them, but sometimes my body and my mind just rebel. So I'm fine now. :lol:

This thread has been so much fun for me. I felt kinda like a dunce sounding off like that, but had no idea I would be joined with the same sentiments. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:36 AM

I live alone with my critters, but I still have to run away sometimes and just see what is out there! Hobby Lobby and the LGS are great places to get recharged! :lol:
Old 07-24-2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
I live alone with my critters, but I still have to run away sometimes and just see what is out there! Hobby Lobby and the LGS are great places to get recharged! :lol:
OH, YES !!
Old 07-24-2009, 02:50 PM

Gosh Gail, You should have called me. I'm in Lafayette :D !