Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I ran away from home today. >

I ran away from home today.

I ran away from home today.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by Shemjo
I live alone with my critters, but I still have to run away sometimes and just see what is out there! Hobby Lobby and the LGS are great places to get recharged! :lol:
OH, YES !!
I didn't know. I often wonder when I'm at JoAnn's (which isn't very often anymore since our little LQS opened in New Iberia) or Hobby Lobby if any of our QB members are in there at the same time as I am. We should wear some type of badge or something -- maybe a bit bow in our hair. :lol: Only kidding, of course.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:02 PM

I understand what you are talking about. Although I am an empty nester, I work with high risk pregnant mom's and then they and their babes. It is like having an extended family to fret about...and the paperwork seems like a mountain sometimes. When it gets to me I arrange my day so I can run away to a quilt shop in one of the small towns my clients live in or best of all get home early and play with my toys.
Emotional refueling is so important and if it involves fabric....well what could be better! :D
Old 07-25-2009, 07:16 PM

I love running away. We own a music store, and anytime I get a chance to get away I take it! We are just about to begin our busiest time of the year, all the kids will rent band instruments from us. We've been very busy all summer getting ready, getting all the school instruments repaired, but this will be the real crunch time from about August 1 to Sept 15.

I may need more "run away" time.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Does it count as running away when I don't have anybody to run from?? After reading all these post I decided it was time for a trip to the LQS. I went to The Borne Quilter (check out their website for more info) in Lafayette to find some backing fabric to match a quilt top I just finished this week. You'da thunk there was a party going on in there with all the cars parked out front. What I didn't realize was that there was a big GSQA meeting going on in town and all the ladies stopped by there after the meeting.

The shop was packed and they were coming in faster than they were going out. I got what I needed and stood in line to check out. Made a lot of new friends and swapped business cards. I need to run away more often :D
Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 AM

You know....I was just thinking. It isn't just ladies that need to run away once in a while. My husband will suddenly take a vacation day and take a day long road trip. Just exploring some part of PA. He usually does it on a day I work, so he is home for a late supper together. He always comes back in a better state of mind. Course I am sure he doesn't run to the LQS :)
Whohoo for runaway days!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:07 AM

There must be something in the air. Thursday, it rained here for the first time in a couple weeks, the weeds had taken over in the garden, the yard needed mowing and since quilters don't do have time to clean house, it needed attention. I wanted to run away. Instead, my hubby said we should go for a ride. The next thing I knew, we had driven about 80 miles and he parked in front of JoAnns. Then he went to Lowe's, left me there with his credit card and I was to call when I was done.
It made us both very happy people.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

You need to that more! It does make a difference in handling day to day stress. I've always been selfish about my time alone. I use to hire a babysitter when I went to the grocery store. That was like a mini vacation when the kids were small. :D
Old 07-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

When my kids had moved out I had lots of "me" time. Now that they have all moved back home and brought my DGD too, I need "me" time so sometimes I run away for a few hours. They understand it's important to me and seem to understand.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:45 AM

Ah that sounds so good! It is nice to get away for a few days. I haven't ran away for a while. I usually try to go once a year at least, secretly, I want to run away by myself. I usually have a car load of friends and we make a girls trip. I am a free spirit, only it is difficult to find the time. I dream of just driving and stopping at whatever fabric stores I see!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Gail:
Girl you always make me chuckle. I try and run away from home once a week if only for a couple of hours.
Good girl you did yourself proud. I am glad you had so much fun and found it so relaxing.
Shopping is really a gene in women you know, we are the gatherers and the men are the hunters.
We all need to do something for ourselves once in a while. I am glad you took care of you.
Hugs,
Penny
Originally Posted by GailG
After a very hard week last week and a very tiring Monday and Tuesday of this week, I ran away from home. Didn't tell anyone where I was going, only that I'd be in Lafayette and I'd be home in time for supper.

I hadn't been to JoAnn's in a very long time, probably before Christmas. When someone on another thread mentioned the Kona Premium muslin, I thought I'd go to see what all the buzz was about. Well -- it's beautiful. Picked up some of the bleached and some of the unbleached. AND WHILE I WAS IN THE STORE :wink: , I also picked up a couple of pieces of beige and a piece of black. Then I picked up several notions and thread. All in all, it was a very "relaxing" day. Stopped on the way home for lunch at an Italian buffet.

When I got back home, I scrubbed my hard floors. My house was very happy that I had run away for a while.

Am I the only one who feels the need to just run away once in a while?