Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Really Try to Be Careful >

I Really Try to Be Careful

I Really Try to Be Careful

Old 05-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Default I Really Try to Be Careful

When I am sewing pieces together I make the seam allowance go left or right. Every once in a while I get one that wants to turn one way at the beginning and then flip to the other side at the end of the block. When the quilt is done, it really does not make any difference, but I would like to be better at this.

Is there a trick you can tell me about that might help? I try to get them to lay flat. I press them. I even hold them down with my fingers. Just wondering if you know something that I don't.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:20 AM

I press my blocks closed first, then after they're open in the direction I want. Good pressing is just as important as sewing in quilting. Also I do use Best Press on my fabric during initial ironing and throughout sewing.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

When you pin it together to sew the seams pin from the back side with the most seams that are going against the needle that could flip, sew on that side too. Then you can see which way the seam is turned. You can take a couple stitches out and re-sew them. I have done it many times on donated quilts and it works.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:42 AM

Annoying isn't it? I have a presser foot that has the tips turned up like the tips of skis. Helps a lot although still not perfect. Have zero idea where I got it. I've worn out machines but kept all the attachments.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

I use this handy dandy tool. Yep another gadget and it cost money but it works great for me and saves so much time and frustration.

http://www.heidizineproducts.com/Ins...-A-Sphoto.html
Old 05-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I hope I understand what you are asking. When I piece a quilt, I make sure that I know what directions the seams are going to be sewn. I make sure that I ALL the seam are laying in the correct direction and I pin from the top to made sure everyone stays in place. I wish that more quilt designers would take the TIME to specify in what direction seams should go. Eleanor Burns seems to be the only who does it consistently.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:41 AM

The center removable part of the throat-plate on my machine is just slightly higher than the rest of the machine bed and I noticed it often caught the edge of the seam allowances and was flipping them to the other side when sewing. So I put a couple of strips of blue painters tape on the front edge of the throat-plate to make it smooth from the machine bed to the needle area. This has helped me keep my seam allowances in the right direction.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

My mailbox is running over with requests where did I buy the Direct a Seam. I bought mine years ago but here is site that has free shipping for it. I ordered several more a few months ago for secret pal gifts. It is a hard to find item. Some pms said they would be easy to make so save my money (but get this: would I please trace the shape and sent it? ) No I won't. I tried making one from an old credit card once, it just didn't work the same for me. But if you don't have the real one you won't know the difference anyway.

http://www.myqbot.com/notions.html
Old 05-24-2014, 01:50 PM

My secret weapon is pinning. I use IBC super fine silk pins, size .50m
Old 05-25-2014, 05:31 AM

if there is a seam that is fighting me, I will reach for my stiletto and stab it down.......can use a shishkabob stick too.....or even a seam ripper..........