Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I should know this by now

How do you start back into swing of things and i know I have to get started soon. We always ask each other or ones self. it is easily said than done. Maybe i need to go buy something related to quilting that might motivate me.

What you think

I usually look through all my old magazines if I don't want to go shopping, or else I will go to my favorite LQS and drool. that helps.

Hope you can get back in the swing soon. But keep checking in and trying to keep in touch. :lol:

I also look at magazines & find something I'd like to make.
    If you don't feel like a big project start with a pot holder or 2.
    start small!
    Hope you get back into sewing!

My daughter, who also is a member of this board, and I, think you should head to the bookstore, grab some coffee, and look at the quilting magazines! This always helps jumpstart our quilting mojo!

If I go in my quilting room & fondle my fabric it will usually get me to thinking in the right direction. Make yourself go in & sit there for 15 minutes with your fabric & your patterns, books. It should get the creative juices flowing, if not the first time you do it, maybe by the 2nd or 3rd day.
    I was just this way earlier in the year. I had so many other things taking my attention. I didn't even go out there for weeks! But I'm back at it with a vengeance now. A trip to the quilt shop kick started it this time.

Quilt shows often inspire me, and as mentioned magazines. Or, perhaps your local library has some books. I'm always amazed what our library has.

What motivates me most though is the gorgeous colors on all those fabrics!

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity to visit some quilt shops, maybe some a little further than you normally travel -- a mini shop hop just for you! The holiday fabrics are in, new projects are likely up, and inspiration is everywhere! :)

I usually get on the internet and look up free patterns, or look through my books and magazines. Then I go shopping and buy some fabric. Good luck!

I sit down with some of my books and start looking and something always catches my eye, and then I am off and running. I think we all go through spells where we can't get into it, but it will pass.

I'll just send you some creating vibes, Jerrie. That should work!

What always gets me going is reading a fiction novel about quilters (Jennifer Chiavarini, etc). I love to read but I have a hard time finishing the books because it makes me want to get to the sewing:)

Lynette

Get together with your quilting buddies and see what they are working on. That usually gets me going.

Blog Entries
    I was told in a professional organizing class to set a timer for a short time (15 minutes to half hour) and make yourself do something in whatever area you are having trouble or are unmotivated (cleaning, ironing,- - - - - quilting). As soon as the timer goes off, you need to stop. Good luck and enjoy.

Blog Entries
    It's easy to get me motivated to quilt. All I have to do is look at the pile of money I have invested in my stash, sewing machine, tools, books, pattern, kits, and thread and that adds shame on top of being out of sorts. I think of the quilters past who would cry seeing the goodies we have now and to think of not using them? I start with a potholder using a block pattern I want to try.

Blog Entries
    Besides sending good quilting vibes. :wink: ...If I said pretty please start a project because I miss seeing you post pretty things.....would that help??? :D :D :D

Thanks everyone I will try going through my fabric and then i will pull out my UFO that i need to finish maybe that will help.

Hi Jerrie!
    It is very good to see you on the board posting again. I am so glad that you are feeling well enough to quilt or sew again.

I try and look though the things I have started and think I could get this finished if I had just a day. Or how about remembering a gift I had started and that I need to get moving on.

Try something christmas, I love christmas projects. IF all this fails, go through your patterns. I bet there is one you have forgotten about just waiting for you to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    It's easy to get me motivated to quilt. All I have to do is look at the pile of money I have invested in my stash, sewing machine, tools, books, pattern, kits, and thread and that adds shame on top of being out of sorts. I think of the quilters past who would cry seeing the goodies we have now and to think of not using them? I start with a potholder using a block pattern I want to try.
    And then stopping is the hard part. Right? I've recently jumped on board with the FlyLady and that is what she advocates. The timer in 15 minute increments. I usually go back and reset for 15 more minutes, etc. Even with cleaning. It's spooky. :roll: :lol:

Banned
    looking at all the beautiful quilts on here always gets me motivated :D

I'm just glad you're feeling better, Jerrie!

My idea: think about the upcoming holidays, look at that stash and make a small gift for a friend or relative or make a comfort quilt for charity (something easy that just gets you sewing)-----

Go to the Pictures section of this board. Or go to an art museum. I recently saw a visiting exhibit of Georgia OKeefe in my town. Now I want to play with any wild colors of fabric! Maybe check out a coffee-table book of quilts from your library.

Jerrie--Good to see you back!! Don't worry--something will motivate you and get you back in the quilting mood soon.

Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    If you do nothing else, don't stress. I am in a bit of a funk myself, but I know I will find something to inspire me and I will be right back where I want to be. I just need to inhale pink and exhale blue and I will be alright again. Chin up girl, it will come back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrie
    How do you start back into swing of things and i know I have to get started soon. We always ask each other or ones self. it is easily said than done. Maybe i need to go buy something related to quilting that might motivate me.

What you think

Just look at the pictures of this site! Its getting me out of the dulldrums. There is one beautiful quilt that has inspired me. I can't wait to get the book and get started!!! :D

Hi Jerrie,

I am having so much trouble getting motivated myself. I thought I was the only one. I read about everyone else, and how they are doing and always working on something, I am still stuck in mid-stream. If you find some ideas, I would love to hear about them too. I joined a quilt guild, read books, magazines, look online, look at my fabric stash. I love to quilt, sew, etc., I have so many ideas swimming in my head, but I can't seem to get going on anything.

Take care, Cyniree

I go in and look at my fabric collection ( I am a collector not a horder) and then go with whatever inspires me either thru a purchased pattern or one I might make up. Now If I can keep the Dog and hubby from wanting my attention then I might actually accomplish something. LOL, I love them both to death but sometimes I just need me time.
    T.Farmer
    Central TX

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast