Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I was so sad... >

I was so sad...

I was so sad...

Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
I find that the domestic skills are becoming of more interest to the current generation. I could cook and sew when I was 8 years old but I didn't want people to know that even when I was an adult. One of my most embarrassing moments in junior high was winning a home ec award. Thanks to cable tv these skills are no longer looked down upon and it is okay to find pleasure in them.

Today in a meeting at work one of my co-workers said she thought I should make everyone a quilt for Christmas and that she just LOVED quilts. Twenty years ago I wouldn't have let her know I sewed let alone quilted. Times are changing.

My DIL is a medical resident I taught to sew. Some of her friends now want her to teach them. Society is reaching the point where we can appreciate the skill and talent in all fields, I believe. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of these mothers pursue sewing because we are so interested in keeping our children happy today.
I have never in my life been embarrassed that I could sew, or knit, or cook. I was one of several kids who wore clothes in the style and colors I WANTED. And I was always proud of my sweaters that I wore to school. Befroe I was even in high school, my baked beans were requested at dinners around here. Can't even imagine being embarrassed about my accomplishments------------and I did it without one single home ec class.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewmary View Post
"We recently cleaned out my aunt's home and our 8-year-old DGD found a rotary phone. She had no idea what it was. It was hilarious."

Show them a record album - that really confuses them!
Who here remembers the aluminum "wave clips" we used back in the 50's? My sis in law, who grew up in California and is a couple years older than me, had no idea what they were.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
Sewing is almost a thing of the past, so is needle work, no one does crafts anymore. I hear people say you can but it cheaper than you can make it. I guess you can on some things but I love making my own things. Just saying!!!
I beg to differ. Knitting, sewing, crochet, crossstitch, quilting, rug making and I don't know what all is more popular than ever, IMO. Now people do it because they WANT to, not because they have to. I know very, very few women who don't do some sort of handiwork.

What's more, nowadays with JoAnn's and even libraries offering classes, anyone wanting to learn usually can. Sure didn't happen when I was a kid. You learned from a family member or friend back then
Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 View Post
Sewing is almost a thing of the past, so is needle work, no one does crafts anymore. I hear people say you can but it cheaper than you can make it. I guess you can on some things but I love making my own things. Just saying!!!
I sadly agree that this is the case for 90% of the children.

Yes, they must learn computers for today and their future, BUT this is the first generation where 85% (at least) of children raised in Daycare, then school. Few have "quality time" with their mothers. Traditionally, Mothers taught their children to sew at home. Now when they get off work, gather their offspring, drive home, cook or get take home, eat, take jr. or sis to soccer practice/dance/gymnastics, etc. and finally get home. Then it's time for baths, finish up homework, read out loud and bed. Some lucky ones have husbands that help out, yet some are single mothers who have to try and do it all.

It's a different world than the one we grew up in. Two parents, grandparents nearby. Progress? Not so sure.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM

I think one of the worst things to happen in the school systems is doing away with Home Ec. No wonder fast food places make so much money and children and adults are overweight the past 2 generations have not really learned cooking and sewing. My granddaughter took "Life Training" and had all of 3 weeks of cooking. I asked what she learned and she said they made ambrosia I laughed and siad ok what did you put in a pan on the stove? She did not sew anything that I know of. She graduated 5 years ago, so wonder what they teach now? And talk about other thing missing from schools is P E. again goes towards the weight problems. I think they should all go thru the humiliation we went thru taking showers and lousy at sports every day. OK stepping down from soap box. Take care.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

My two girls had to learn to thread and sew on a sewing machine, hand sew a hem and button, make basic crochet or knitting stitches, crosstitch or embroider their name, iron and crease a dress shirt, and make bread. I didn't ask them I told them they were expected do it and I showed them how. They didn't have to keep it up but it's like riding a bike, they know how to get started.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM

I've seen a lot of young women at my LQS and there seems to be a resurgence of interest. But my son's GF doesn't even know how to sew on a button.

But then again, my mother didn't teach me how to sew, knit, crochet, etc. It was a babysitter old enough to be my grandmother. I'm the only girl of three who has these skills. Must have been the right babysitter at the right time.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 AM

What about metal ice trays you had to fill with water and the break your arm trying to get the ice out once they were frozen.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 AM

thanks for the laugh! the post about the iron made me laugh. Can't imagine being without one

Last edited by jerilee; 05-17-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: to clarify
Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Yay!! Now because of your help, we now have (maybe) nine more plus their mothers sewing. Good job!!!