Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I Spy quilt quest

Blog Entries

I Spy quilt quest

I saw this really cute I Spy quilt here - http://happyquiltingmelissa.blogspot...-festival.html
    I would love to make it and have gone through my stash finding fun fabrics to use in this quilt. My gosh, there are so many needed. I know it will take me forever. Does anyone know a site where they would have a mix of picture fabric that could be used for this quilt? I thought about charm packs, but this quilt asks for 6 inch squares. I thought I would look for panels that had varying pictures to add to my collection. I like this quilt because the design is more complex than just the squares. Any suggestions?
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

PM me, I have lots of fabrics that would do very well for an I Spy quilt. Let me know boy, girl, colors? I can find several for you in 6 inch or larger size.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    Try "bugfabric.com". They have lots and you can buy by the 1/4 yard

That's a really cute pattern, good luck with your collecting, she mentions it took her a year to collect all the different coloured backgrounds she used.

Why not do a fabric trade with some of your quilting friends? We did this at our LQS a few yrs. ago and had a lot of fun with it.

I would love to do a fabric trade!!!!
    ¸.·´* .·´*¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ((¸¸.·´*~Dody.·´*¨¨))
    -:¦:- ·· ((¸¸.·´* .·´*((¸¸.·.·´ *-:¦:- ...

Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    PM me, I have lots of fabrics that would do very well for an I Spy quilt. Let me know boy, girl, colors? I can find several for you in 6 inch or larger size.
    Interested in doing a trade with others too? How much fun would it be to make this quilt together!
    ((¸¸.·´*~Dody.·´*¨¨))

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
    Interested in doing a trade with others too? How much fun would it be to make this quilt together!
    I am doing an I spy right now and have an assortment of fabrics that I could swap with you. PM me if you are interested.
    ***Pam***
    -^..^- meow
    Pam

Blog Entries
    adorable..I want to make one, too!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I love that version of the I spy. Here's the "matched" set of I spy quilts I did for my twin nephews. I have an entire box of novelty fabrics I can share or swap. I did use fabrics more than once on these, but I've made smaller ones that used a different fabric for every block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Fay, those are so cute! I really like the second one a lot. What is that pattern called?
    ((¸¸.·´*~Dody.·´*¨¨))

Blog Entries
    That is a great design for an I Spy quilt. I have a few fabrics that may work for you. PM with address if you would like me to send them. I don't have a lot, but I'm sure others will be happy to help also.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
    I love that version of the I spy. Here's the "matched" set of I spy quilts I did for my twin nephews. I have an entire box of novelty fabrics I can share or swap. I did use fabrics more than once on these, but I've made smaller ones that used a different fabric for every block.
    Those are really cute quilts - I like how you set the squares to showcase them.

Are you wanting the CUT SIZE of the pieces to be 6.0 inches or 6.5 inches?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link- Love that I spy! Also keep your eyes open in the member swap section- from time to time there are swaps that you can join and get a lot of blocks all at once
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

There is a place on line where you can order I spy bundles of fabric. Can't think of the name off hand.

To beachbound,
    The hexagon one is from Six is for Hexagons by Marti Michell. I bought both sets of templates, the large one used in this quilt measures 5 5/8" from top to bottom. The book has the traceable templates so you could make your own out of template plastic, but I love the convenience of using my rotory cutter to just fussy cut around my character.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbound View Post
    Fay, those are so cute! I really like the second one a lot. What is that pattern called?
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

Blog Entries
    That's one of the cutest I Spy quilts I've seen!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Blog Entries
    Your quilts are adorable. I love both patterns. How long did it take for you to acquire all your wonderful blocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Murphy1
    Probably about a year once I got serious. My niece got several baby quilts, so I told her I'd make twin sized quilts for their "big boy" beds when they turned 2. I had leftovers from other I spy quilts, plus friends donated novelty scraps to the cause.
    Last edited by faykilgore; 11-19-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Fay

Blog Entries
    that's a nice quilt
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Fay, what pattern is the first quilt? I like both of your quilts. I want to start working on one for my granddaughter.
    Denise

Blog Entries
    I really like this quilt pattern!
    Have you thought about posting in the trade section of the board?
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

Denise,
    Couldn't put my hands on the pattern without more digging. I will keep your name and try to PM you when I find it. It's actually a simple design using 6" squares (cut size, not finished size) and 6x3" sashing strips, then the triangles on the end of each sashing strip to make the stars. 3X3" squares for the center of the stars. The trick is the outer border, which only has triangles on 1 end of the sashing strips. I've gotten a little overzealous with the triangle step and had to buy more fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by denidesigns View Post
    Fay, what pattern is the first quilt? I like both of your quilts. I want to start working on one for my granddaughter.
    Denise
    Fay

Thanks ,Fay. No rush for it . You have given me ideas of needed size of fabric so I can start collecting fabrics.
    Denise

I have some fabric I can send too, just got two I Spy quilts done and finishing up the third for Christmas. So you need boy or girl or does it matter? I have mostly boys. Just pm me with your address, may be after Thanksgiving before I can get them in mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
    I saw this really cute I Spy quilt here - http://happyquiltingmelissa.blogspot...-festival.html
    I would love to make it and have gone through my stash finding fun fabrics to use in this quilt. My gosh, there are so many needed. I know it will take me forever. Does anyone know a site where they would have a mix of picture fabric that could be used for this quilt? I thought about charm packs, but this quilt asks for 6 inch squares. I thought I would look for panels that had varying pictures to add to my collection. I like this quilt because the design is more complex than just the squares. Any suggestions?