Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I am a "Blanket maker" >

I think I am a "Blanket maker"

I think I am a "Blanket maker"

Old 04-24-2010, 03:46 PM

Here is is! All done. I learned a lot. Including that I am a blanket maker, I love flannel backs, and I will probably always pull the front to the back, or the back to the front for binding.

It is pretty wrinkley on the first couple, the quilt inspectors Lincoln (in photo) and Truman had spent some time on it before I got a chance to take pictures :D

Thanks for all the insperation and advice!!!!

Close up of the front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]983[/ATTACH]

No, its not Christmas. I keep lights on that tree all year! My DH and DD hate it - I think it is pretty!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1331[/ATTACH]

Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1407[/ATTACH]

Back - I know the squares are not even :)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1408[/ATTACH]

Good thing I have a tall husband!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1409[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-983.jpe   attachment-1331.jpe   attachment-1407.jpe   attachment-1408.jpe   attachment-1409.jpe  

Old 04-24-2010, 04:07 PM

I am thrilled that you are working. Hope you are enjoying the mags.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cminor
The top is much better than the other tops I have started and never finished.
Having UFOs makes you a bonafide quilter!
Old 04-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for sharing the picture of your quilt
Old 04-24-2010, 05:11 PM

So after showing the pictures, I'm wondering what is wrong with the quilt? If you like it and if you don't "save" it for special occasions, then, in my mind you are a WINNER :lol: :lol:
Old 04-24-2010, 05:24 PM

A couple of things to keep in mind ... when you wash it, some of the wrinkles will go away because of shrinkage <g> ... but, it will still be comfy and cozy and loved very much.
I think you are a quilt maker, and a darned good craftsman if you enjoy the process and see room for improvement, with an appetite whetted for the next quilt you make.
The process is almost more important than the product for most of us, I think. The fact that we can produce something comforting and useful is a bonus.
When you are doing a stitch in the ditch, a walking foot will be helpful, and the other thing is to take note of the size of your stitching when you get to the quilting process ... when we are piecing, most of the time, we work with a 2 or 2.5 stitch length.
However, when you begin to quilt the top, batting, and backing, you need to lengthen the stitches to 3.5 or 4 to accomodate the added thickness of the layers.
Between the walking foot and the lengthened stitches, you will not see so many "wrinkles" - - I am thinking. <wave>
Did I tell you that you did good for your first quilt and that we welcome your joining us? We get very excited when we have another join our forces ;-) :thumbup:
Old 04-24-2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks Omak. Ironically, I quilted most of this on Thursdy and Friday after work. Friday night I watched one of the Eleanor Burns shows that mentioned making the stitches longer. . .lesson learned :) A walking foot is on my wish list - and will soon be ordered - I just have not gotten around to it just yet.

I do really like the process. I was really happy with the way the binding worked out even thought it was not a traditional binding. Looks good either way.

I spend a ton of time on the board - and it really does keep me motivated. My husband told me a few months ago that if I ever finsihed a project . . then we could turn the extra bedroom into a sewing room. PROJECT FINISHED!!!!

I can't wait until I don't have to pull all my stuff out from one room to the dining room table.

I think once I got started, I was on a roll. It just took some time for me to realize that as my first or second attempt I don't have to try so hard to mirror some of what I see on the board. Now I know, I will get better at it, I do really enjoy it, and some day down the line, maybe . .just maybe . .people will look at what I create and get motivated the way I did by looking at others work.

Thanks so much for all the nice comments!! :)
Old 04-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Joe

Your quilt is beautiful you should be proud I know I would be.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:23 PM

I think you did a wonderful job! :thumbup:
Old 04-24-2010, 06:53 PM
som

im scared to wash my quilts i have made about 5 aND I HAVNT WASHED ONE YET I CAN JUST VISUALIZE THEM ALL WRINKELED UP HA/ I HOPE IM WRONG