Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I think I have a problem >

I think I have a problem

I think I have a problem

Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 AM

I agree with all of the replies but I would stop buying fabric for awhile and just relax. It is not a job, it is a pleasure. When I am stuck I look for a small project not a king size quilt. Then I play with my fabric a while by putting it in little groups. I walk in and out of the room and something will speak to me. I love doing baby quilts because they are small, cute and appreciated. But don't make yourself do anything creative.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a normal artist. Maybe clean/organize your room in small intervals like 15 minutes a day and then work on do able projects 15 minutes a day. Sometimes you need to succeed in order to get motivated again. Sounds like you have a lot going on. I have lots of children so I definitely go through phases like that.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 AM

November and December are months filled with stress. You might need to put sewing aside and concentrate on the holidays for now. You don't have to sew every single day, especially when you have other things on your mind.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by fabrichore
The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah, anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric", and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything, I have many ideas and thoughts but nothing ever materilizes...I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly, I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is, I have been struggling with my son lately but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies, I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything,,,my mom would call it lazy and maybe I am...I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing, I love fabric, I love color, and I really do like to sew and create, so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
I have the same problem sometimes, I work also and a hour drive, when I get home it's like, "don't talk to me". I try to work on a quilt (easy quilt) for about an hour. sometimes it 10 minutes, sometimes after I get started it turns in to 2 hours. What is hard to do is to start a new and challanging quilt when you are tired. Go at your own pace and do only what you want.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

thanks for all the encouraging words, and you are all right maybe I am tired and when you are tired you make mistakes, hence having to pull the whole thing out...and I do hope that I can get back into it soon, because I do miss my fabric...LOL Hugs to you all....
I made a mess of the way I had sewn on log cabin blocks for a quilt for my DD. I left it in. Sometimes that is OK too.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 AM

The other day I was talking to my other half about my sewing room, blahblahblah, anyway he said "I don't think you are a quilter, I think you just like to collect fabric", and I had to stop and think about it, recently I have been having a hard time getting into the sewing room ( a new sewing room mind you) and sitting there and completeing anything, I have many ideas and thoughts but nothing ever materilizes...I make a mistake and I have to pull it all out and do again and I find myself losing interest really quickly, I do like to sew and make pretty things, I am new to quilting and have made two quilts and some pillows but I do not know what my problem is, I have been struggling with my son lately but I am not going to blame him for my Inadequacies, I work all day and it takes an hour to get home, so by the time I get home I do not want to do anything,,,my mom would call it lazy and maybe I am...I am trying very hard not to convince myself I am not capable of doing this whole sewing thing, I love fabric, I love color, and I really do like to sew and create, so what in the world is wrong with me.... :cry:
I like to quilt, too, but to tell the truth I have actually completed one in three and a half years. I have what my friend refers to as "creative ADD". Get a load of ideas, maybe even get as far as collecting materials, but can never seem to find time to accomplish anything. Doesn't mean I don't consider myself a quilter. Just means I haven't had the time or motivation for it. Life gets in the way---steals your time, stresses you out, makes you want to do different things or nothing at all. There's nothing wrong with you as a quilter if you like it and want to create.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Not a darn thing is wrong with you. Been there, done (or not done as the case may be ) that and bought the T-shirt.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 AM

I haven't read all of the answers yet, so someone may have already brought this up. Is your sewing room a room that you enjoy going in to? Would you go in there just to relax? How easy is it to work in? Are the colors of the wall relaxing or conflicting?

Now that my kids are grown and living on their own, I use one of their rooms for sewing and the other will be used for my quilting frame. I noticed that I really enjoy going into my sewing room. I have a tv in there, plenty of light, the color of the wall is a great color of yellow (relaxing but yet not too relaxing where I don't want to work). Sometimes I go in there, put something in the dvd player and just sew. Other times I go in there to fold clothes or to work on bills. It is my getaway. laughing...I can close the door and forget about all of the other work I have to do in the house.

Take a look at your room and check it out to see if it is a room that you enjoy going into.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM

I'm in a similar place with exhaustion at the end of the day, coupled with my own ADD and distractability. What I've been doing this week to work my way back into sewing is to wash the new fabrics, press the cut ones and the blocks that got wrinkled at the bottom of the pile, and hopefully will actually cut a few strips tonight. Last night I decided that it was not safe for me to handle a cutter so read a book instead.

Cheers, K
Old 11-04-2010, 03:22 PM

I have been a fabric collector for many years!