Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Was I told wrong? >

Was I told wrong?

Was I told wrong?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by grandma pepsi
This is a FMQ question. I was told by a quilting teacher that I MUST have a 'stitch regulator' in order to do free motion quilting. (the teacher also owned a quilt shop that sold sewing machines). ... Please give me your opinion.
My daughter bought a Gammill when you could not enter a quilt in a show if you had a stitch regulator. She still doesn't have a stitch regulator. She entered two quilts in Road2CA. One one a 1st prize and the other won a 2nd prize. You DO NOT neet a stitch regulator - it's a real bonus and if you can afford it great, but it is not totally necessary. It just takes practice, practice, practice. Put your sewing machine on the slowest speed possible and that helps sometimes.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I drop the feed dogs, I don't use a stitch regulator, and drop my tension to zero and go. But I am a beginer.
What she said.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by grandma pepsi
This is a FMQ question. I was told by a quilting teacher that I MUST have a 'stitch regulator' in order to do free motion quilting. (the teacher also owned a quilt shop that sold sewing machines). I could not afford a new machine, so I tried to FMQ on my regular machine. The stitches were extremely uneven and I lost interest in trying, believing she was right. Now I am reading posts on the quilting board about not dropping the feeddog. Was I told wrong? Is it possible to master FMQ on a regular machine without a stitch regulator. I am getting interested in trying again. Please give me your opinion.
There are tons of videos on UTube that teach FMQ. I have been studing them and practicing my self and i do not have a stitch regulator. Good Luck and PM me if you want I will send the links
Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ozarkcastle
check out http://www.daystyledesigns.com/365project.htm leah has free designs and lots of tips on how to get started. you can google her name leah day and find her blog it is interesting reading for new and experienced quilters. I don't FM but enjoy seeing the process. cw
YES YES this is the one i like!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:23 AM

not only have I mastered it, I machine quilt on a Pfaff, home machine with no regulators, feet up or down, doesn't matter try both, practive for about 40 hours and you will have it!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 AM

Practice, practice, practice... long before there were stitch regulators, there was free motion quilting... make a few 'muslin sandwhiches' and Practice, practice, practice

Good Luck.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:33 AM

She was trying to sell you a machine I would think. Many of of us don't have stitch regulators. It just takes lots of practice. I would start with stippling. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 AM

I'm, new...what does FMQ mean?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 AM

I did some FMQ on my Singer 66 Red Eye, no stitch regulator. However, I did a lot of practicing before going to work on the actual quilt. It helps to have a quilting foot (I used the one that goes on my embroidery machine). It goes up when the needle is up, and down when the needle is down. This helps somewhat in getting stitches close to the same size. Mostly it's a matter of coordinating between moving the quilt around and the machine speed.

A quilting machine with a stitch regulator would obviously make this much easier, but it can be done on a regular machine. I've even seen a video of a lady doing free-motion topstitching on a treadle, making purses. That sort of talent only comes with LOTS of practice.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Not true. I started FMQing before I had a stitch regulator and I don't use my regulator all the time now when I FMQ! :-D :-D :-D