Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Was I told wrong? >

Was I told wrong?

Was I told wrong?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM

I do FMQ with the feed dogs down and it does take practice & more practice. I have done king quilts on my regular sewing machine. Just hang in there it all works out
Old 04-06-2011, 01:17 PM

That's not the case. It takes LOTS of practice to get even stitches and a stitch regulator takes care of it.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:46 PM

Grandma Pepsi, I have not gone through this entire thread just the first page but I like you am trying to teach myself to FMQ and if you look at professional quilters like Diane Gaudenski (sp) and definitely Patsy Thompson (who by the way has tutorials on You Tube) use only a domestic machine. I figure if it's good enough for them and they win all kinds of awards it's sure good enough for me. I also use a etch a sketch kind of thing that I bought for one of my grandkids to practice with instead of wasting reams of paper.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM

That's craaazy!! She's obviously trying to sell you something. While it may be nice, it's not a necessity. In fact, when someone tells me I can't do something - it just makes me prove them wrong. Just do a lot of practicing and experimenting. Before you know it, you'll be an expert!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Sorry but I forgot to say that Patsy also teaches to use a sewing silicone on the bed of your machine even though she still uses the gloves, it helps the quilt to glide without buying other items. She also encourages you to have the small sandwich of fabric to practice on, and the best thing she taught me is to wall baste the quilt regardless of size. Watch the video's they are so very informative.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:15 PM

You've got 7 pages of great advice here, I've got nothing to add. Just get practising and have fun!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by grandma pepsi
This is a FMQ question. I was told by a quilting teacher that I MUST have a 'stitch regulator' in order to do free motion quilting. (the teacher also owned a quilt shop that sold sewing machines). I could not afford a new machine, so I tried to FMQ on my regular machine. The stitches were extremely uneven and I lost interest in trying, believing she was right. Now I am reading posts on the quilting board about not dropping the feeddog. Was I told wrong? Is it possible to master FMQ on a regular machine without a stitch regulator. I am getting interested in trying again. Please give me your opinion.
I'm new to quilting and I'm working on My First Queen size quilt, FMQ almost got it done, all I needed was a darning foot and it works great...I find the faster I go the more even the stiches come out, and this is my first FMQ and I'm stippling! Learning one stich at a time until I conquer it!

Here's a pic, yes there is a few stiches that are messed up, but like I said I'm learning and not using a stitch regulator, I just drop the foot and use the darning foot, for FMQ...a lot a practice helps, I made a few pot holders so I wouldnt waste the material....

[IMG]http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_1276.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
also many people who do machine frame quilting don't have a stitch regulator.
I have a longarm and only quilt with my stitch regulator on (I'm a wimp and my quilting speed is anything but steady!)...but I took a class from Karen McTavish and her advise to us was to turn off the regulator when we quilt, especially when we are doing feathers or McTavishing.

If you are looking for tips for quilting on your DSM, check Leah Day and her blog where she is giving us wonderful quilting designs that she also demonstrates via video on her DSM. She is amazing!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by judyintex
Practice, practice, practice!!!! I made 4 or 5 baby quilts for our local police cars while I was learning. Your stitching will be uneven and then all of sudden you will get into the grove. Even after years of quilting I always practice before I start on a quilt. If your hands slip try wearing disposable glove (like the doctors use). Good Luck!!!!
Yes, the disposable latex gloves works awesome to help move the fabric!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 PM

You don't need it. Just practice