Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i understand why so few people make frank lloyd wright quilts. >

i understand why so few people make frank lloyd wright quilts.

i understand why so few people make frank lloyd wright quilts.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:21 AM

Love the fabrics together - the tan with 'paint splatters' is terrific.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:16 AM

the answer seems to be to switch machines. my basic janome's presser foot is just too wide, and because i can't switch the needle position to the right there's just no way to get the fabric to stay on the right line while stitching. all my black lines end up 1/8" too thick. it didn't really matter so much in the completed sections, but now that i am working on the little tiny tile sections it's throwing everything off.

normally i wouldn't matter about it, but this part of the design looks wonky when it needs to look dead straight.

luckily i have a singer 401 machine i bought for my daughter about a year ago. i got it all tuned up and we haven't used it yet. i tried it last night. the presser foot is more narrow, the feed dogs more true and it is as straight a stitch as i have ever seen. the only thing is...this is a more difficult project than i have undertaken before and now i'm working with a new machine instead of my "old cozy slipper" machine that i know so well.

and to complain - i thought maybe i had done something wrong, so i recut (using scissors this time thinking the rotary cutter was causing bowing over the two seams) and resewed the strips for the little tiles before i had the eureka moment about why things weren't working. now do i rip the stitches on 36-2 inch pieces or cut and redo for the third time?

HAHAHAH! sigh.

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 01-18-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I made a challenging quilt for my dgd. When I gave it to her I told her it was the quilt from hell. Everything that could go wrong, did.

Here's what I learned from it...I won't ever make it again!

Now just have as much fun with it as you can!
Ditto..... it was beautiful, she loved it, so I bought a kit. First, thought it might be for Sweet 16, then high school graduation, or 18.... She is almost 19 and I am just to about get it done, but it has been a nightmare for me. Two wonderful generous friends helped me with some of the blocks and urged me toward the finish line. MAN will I be glad to see that done!!!!!

I so am with you on this sort of quilt... one that I might not have chosen myself to make!

Christine
Old 01-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Good for you! Your doing great now. By Joe I think you've got it! Sometimes these projects can be a steep learning curve!!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 PM

I made a wall hanging from this book a number of years ago and it hangs in my office. It's getting a little faded since I have a corner office with two walls made entirely of glass but I still love it. I had the idea to make a FLW window quilt long before Jackie Robinson's book and bought a number of FLW design books intending to draft my own pattern eventually. Just never got to it.

I was in Buffalo visiting my aunt and I found Jackie's book in a quilt shop. Since Buffalo was where I was born, I chose to make the window from the Heath House, a FLW house in Buffalo. If you look close, you will see mistakes but it was worth all the pain. Yours will be too. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.
Attached Thumbnails flw-q1.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 AM

i submit. i cannot get the tile sections to work out to match up with the chevrons. at all.

i emailed my favorite lqs and requested a private lesson. i don't need it to be perfect but it cannot proceed the way it is going.

irish, that's beautiful!

aileen
Old 01-19-2014, 11:58 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457450[/ATTACH]

i might have some cute side projects from the mistakes though! candle mat anyone? ha!

aileen
Attached Thumbnails mistakes-.jpg