Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i understand why so few people make frank lloyd wright quilts. >

i understand why so few people make frank lloyd wright quilts.

i understand why so few people make frank lloyd wright quilts.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:11 AM

See if local library has or can get from library network...
Old 01-17-2014, 09:30 AM

It's off to a good start. I grew up in Illinois and love FLW homes.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:12 AM

i picked up a copy , years ago, when i was out of town for a funeral. i have a friend who loves wright's architecture, and in my head, i wanted to make a quilt for him and his wife. the book is still on my shelf, untouched, because it frightens me. almost 20 years later, there it sits, looking at me. i may try one yet--fortunately, he and his wife are a lot younger than i am, so if i live long enough, it'll happen.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:44 PM

Love FLW and the books that I have seen with quilt patterns. Still not brave enough to attempt one.

Yours is looking gorgeous! I can't wait to see it finished!
Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 PM

It is beautiful. Love FLW designs. I have one of his coloring books that I bought with the intention of making a quilt from it. And we all know about intentions. LOL
Old 01-18-2014, 05:25 AM

I have wanted to do a Frank Lloyd Wright for a long time, but did not feel quite advanced enough yet, so I did what my mother did. She made a valance for the Den at her home and she did the Log Cabin pattern and when she was done, you could see the black lines through the light from the window and it looked just like leaded glass.

I just finished four panels for two windows in the quilt pattern Coxey's Camp and it is similar to a design that Frank Lloyd Wright may have done........I put a muslin backing on it, like Mom did, no batting. I hung it by hooks through a rod (brushed nickel) and it is (sorry to brag) gorgeous. I don't have them up yet, because I am going to paint the bedroom when it is warmer. I am doing the walls in a dusty rose (light on one wall, lighter on the other three). I picked out the fabric I wanted and had the paint made up to match the fabric. The dark color is a teal, the medium color is the darker rose that in on the one darker wall and the light color is natural muslin to match the backing. The valance matches the natural muslin and is crocheted with points at the bottom.

Point -- get to the point -- if I felt I was not ready for doing a Wright design, then the closest thing to it that I knew I could do would mean just as much and really, you will be just as happy. I even looked at it (in our freezing weather) from the outside to see how it looked. The secret? The seams look black and when the sun shines on it, it looks like leaded glass. I love my homemade Frank Lloyd Wright wannabe curtains!!!!!!

Edie
Old 01-18-2014, 07:16 AM

Applique a strip of black binding over the missed area, or take out the stitching and add in a black strip.
Not a huge problem. Love the colors you chose.

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]456895[/ATTACH]

torture and the first image i posted had a $@#$@#$ mistake! GARRRRRRR!

aileen
Old 01-18-2014, 07:25 AM

Aileen:
can you use a small strip of fusible tearaway stabilizer to put the tiny squares/strips on for sewing? cut the stabilizer large enough to have a place for the needle to "bite" into as you start/stop adding the squares...then just tear away the excess. What is left on each tiny block will help keep them straight & shouldn't interfere with the making or quilting process.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 AM

wow that is stunning and as a newbie, I have to say that is deceptively simple looking as I don't know any different. I would love to see your progression on this.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 AM

Frank Lloyd Wright's buildings are amazing, I had no idea someone designed patterns resembling his work