Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection... >

I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection...

I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection...

Old 01-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

I just try to have mine "right" for me. If folks look too close to find my work not quite perfect.....well... it was made with love and skills I'm improving as I go! Celebrate your works!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:49 PM

I also used to think in these terms. But if you look closely at "prize winning" quilts, you will see stitches that are not even, seams that don't match by just a fraction of an inch, and many other "imperfections." I prefer to think of them as characteristics of the quilt. And truthvully, ALL of my quilts have a lot of character.

Happy quilting,
Susan
Old 01-25-2016, 07:58 PM

I wonder how many "imperfections Michaelangelo pointed out to his colleagues when they came to see how his "David" or the Mona Lisa was coming along...:not that I think my quilts are even in the same universe as his works of art, but it's a comfort thinking about him pointing out all of his errors to someone. I do the best I can, correct what I know I need to, try to improve and continue learning-and #1 Enjoy the journey!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:09 PM

I take comfort in knowing that I'm better than I used to be but not as good as I will become at this. But every quilt I've made has been made with love and care. If I were to receive a quilt, I would feel loved and very honored because I know how much work and thought goes into them.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:00 PM

I have been making quilts for the community and never really "gave" a quilt to someone. Recently I gave my dr a quilt and he had tears in his eyes he was so thankful and now I gave a quilt to a friend. She also was thankful. No one noticed or sad anything about them not being perfect. I did the best I could and I am now enjoying the process more than ever. It is fun to create and then share the gift of a quilt
Old 01-25-2016, 10:33 PM

This post has really helped me. I always dread the quilting part of the quilt because I use my Singer machine I bought in 1979 for $79.00. It doesn't have any fancy stitching, just a straight line or zigzag. I have made 3 quilts for family and friends using it but I'm always nervous to get it started. I think we are our worst critic sometimes. I'm going to try to just enjoy what I do and not be so hard on myself.

I always enjoy reading everyone's post and looking at your beautiful quilts. When I finish something I will post a picture. Don't hold your breath though, I'm kind of slow. haha
Old 01-25-2016, 10:58 PM

I so needed this today! I am making a funky, just for me, chicken quilt with all sorts of different sized blocks and techniques...BUT...I find myself saying "enough...stop obsessing....it's fine.." We are our own worst critics! I can tolerate every block I've made so far!!
Old 01-25-2016, 11:23 PM

After reading "That Dorky Homemade Look" I started feeling a lot better about my work too. And letting it go once I give the quilt to someone. My first "I Spy" quilt was the hexagon and triangle style and I did the SITD style quilting. Between dithering over matching the points and quilting, it didn't help that I was giving to a member of the church and the church has a large group of quilters. The mother of the child was not a quilter, but very active in the church so I was very worried some of the master quilters would see the quilt. So much so, I almost didn't give it to her. Then I went to a walking quilt show in Redlands CA and there was a quilt like the one I made. And that person had the same issues I had struggled with and that person had it on display. Suddenly I was much happier with how mine turned out.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:31 PM

I think some quilters want perfection because when they show someone their quilt they start a list of all the mistakes or Imperfections.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:14 AM

Really, it's mostly just us quilters who even notice all those points missing, not quite matched seams, etc. Most people "out there" notice the colors, the patterns, fabric themes, etc. Colors, mostly.