Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection... >

I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection...

I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection...

Old 01-26-2016, 03:50 AM

We are our own worse critics, and this has to stop. I cringe every time I make a little oops while doing FMQ on the frame. Yet, when the quilt is taken off the frame, it looks great!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:15 AM

I don't think quilting is about tolerance or perfection. I think quilting is about love and creativity, and the joy of giving to someone you love.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:20 AM

I try to do the best I can....but no perfection is going on here in Mi!! The recipients of my quilts have never complained!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:46 AM

I love this thread! I admire the beautiful quilts shown on this amazing board and elsewhere. However, I almost exclusively piece tops targeted for a teen boy audience BECAUSE I know they are under served in the charity quilt world. I expect my quilts to be USED to DEATH! This allows me lots of freedom from overthinking the quilting process that I so love and gives me such pleasure. I've put together 26 tops so far this month and have another 5 or 6 in various stages of completion. I also prepare the backs for these tops before they go on to the next stage of their completion to our guild's amazing longarm charity quilters and binders.
Often I don't even start with a pattern, just start sewing things together. I just finished a double jelly roll race quilt in all shades of orange and dark green - just a mishmash but it looks great with the orange basketball prints taking center stage. What's a double jelly roll? I don't know! I just started sewing WOF strips together in twos and decided to do them up in the JRR fashion. I pressed the ends down for my angled joining strip stitches and went at it! This method will win EVERY race! LOL!
I know this approach to quilting doesn't work for everyone but I get a whole lot of nice tops done. Last year alone, our rather rural area guild distributed over 600 quilts to charity. Think how many deserving people would have gone lacking if we'd have been "particular" and all our quilts are well received and look great!
Free yourself from overthinking this process. I have never enjoyed quilting more!
Old 01-26-2016, 04:47 AM

Many years ago I heard Marianne Fons say "I have made quilts that have perfect parts but I have never made a perfect quilt ". This from someone considered to be a master quilter. I have seen quilts in magazines and they have points that don't match, I think striving for perfection puts too much pressure on you and takes the joy of creativity away! I say do the best you can to achieve the result you want and move on to the next one.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:56 AM

This thread has been good for me, too. I sometimes get hung up on points that I want to match perfectly. I tend to go ripit, ripit several times to make those points perfect. After going to several workshops, I am being a little easier on myself. Some of the experienced quilters don't obsess over points that are off 1/16". They told me only the "quilt police" worry about those little points and they are not allowed to come to workshops. Their advice: sew and enjoy the creativity.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by lclang View Post
I don't think quilting is about tolerance or perfection. I think quilting is about love and creativity, and the joy of giving to someone you love.
Wonderfully stated. This has always been my philosophy as well. I do the best I can. Sometimes I rip and resew but if something is a smidge off, I certainly do not fret about it. The recipients of my quilts - family and friends - know they are made with love and are incredibly grateful and appreciative. That's all that matters to me.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGyYSJhk0QA

This video called "Three things quilters should stop doing." really changed how I think about my work.
1. Don't compare your quilting to anyone else. What you are doing now is your best.
2. Don't point out your mistakes - no quilt is perfect.
3. Remember WHY you made the quilt.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:08 AM

It is my opinion that quilting should be a fun and relaxing activity. It is not my job, it is my hobby. That is how I look at it. I try to learn and make improvements. But when I start to become stressed, I tell myself to stop, take a break and go read the Quilting Forum!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:20 AM

I have yet to do a perfect quilt either...depending on my mood...I either accept it or rip it. I must confess I do very little ripping...lol....I also believe in the theory done is better than perfect. With all it's mistakes my quilt keeps a loved one warm and most of them don't sew so they don't even notice the errors. I believe in striving for excellence but never get bogged down in perfection...do your best whatever that is should be good enough.