Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection... >

I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection...

I Used to Think That Quilting Was All About Perfection...

Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 PM
MCH

Not one of us mortals is perfect.

For some reason, and I have no clue as to where or why this thought came to me, but ever since I was a child, I've been fascinated by hands. No two hands are alike, even on the same person. Each one is quirky and imperfect.

However, while hands can be used for both good and evil, consider and ponder what wonderful things those quirky and imperfect hands can do...and the consequences of those actions.

In the context of making a quilt, our hands meander through myriad fabrics, searching for just the right one(s). Then, those hands prepare the fabric and cut the fabric into pieces that will form an entirely new creation when those same hands sew the pieces together, creating something unique and wonderful.

Continuing, those same imperfect hands take the creation to the next step, that of combining all those sewn-together pieces with more components, batting and backing, both of which those hands have manipulated and prepared.

Those hands, with either with a needle and thread making one stitch at a time, or by guiding a machine, combine the top, batting, and backing into one unit. All the while, the person attached to those hands has the opportunity to contemplate their work, effort, and time invested...as well as the person (known or unknown) who will receive the product of those hands' efforts.

Again, those same imperfect hands search through fabrics, looking for the one that will become the quilt's binding...and, then, with either a needle and thread in those hands or by guiding the quilt on a machine, the binding is attached. I like to think of the binding as the "ribbon on the gift of the quilt".Except for the label, the quilt is done.

All that is left is for those imperfect hands to do is to give that quilt to someone or to use it in some other manner that gives comfort, beauty, or solace.

Reflecting those imperfect hands that created the quilt, we fret about points being precise, seams being matched, and whether those seams are a full or scant quarter inch, or maybe the colors don't "work" the way we envisioned them?! Why fret?

Those imperfect hands created something unique and of value and of worth, possibly for generations to come. And we fret about "perfection"?

I look at those quilts I have that were made by my great-grandmother and my husband's grandmothers. The creations of their imperfect hands and love for their families embodied in them transcends time. Isn't that more of a gift to both the one who made the quilt and to its recipient than "perfection"?

Now, I need to get that quilt for my grandson finished in time for his #2 birthday!!

Last edited by MCH; 01-27-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:19 AM

MCH...that's beautiful.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 AM

My husband always lets me know when something is not perfect....these points don't meet "just right"...can you rip it out and re-do it? Wish he would not look at anything I do.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

If I had been to a show before I started, I might not have gotten into quilting. I had no instructions, and made many mistakes. All of my quilts are flawed, even the ones I am most proud of, but the ones I've given away have always been received with smiles and thanks.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:26 PM

Being a bit "off" with my seams has never bothered me, fabric is so forgiving with a little stretch or so. But I am now working on my first Derek Lockwood and after making 8 rows, I find I cannot connect them to each other. Those tiny pieces are not forgiving even with 1/32 of an inch too wide or too narrow. Now, I'm taking the whole thing apart and trying to make PERFECT quarter-inch seams. Which seems impossible. Ugh....
Old 01-28-2016, 03:58 PM

The nature of handcrafted items is uniqueness. Uniqueness includes imperfections. I have been crafting for 52 Years--no only using textiles--and nothing I have ever made has been "perfect." I have made a lot of beautiful, original things most of which I gifted to others. If we want perfect we can buy factory made right? Love your handiwork, imperfections included, and rejoice in the beauty you are able to share.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Power Poster

I used to get so frustrated when I would make a mistake in the early days. I would rip and re-sew and repeat. There were a few "errors" I just couldn't improve so I left them in. When the quilt was finished (quilted, bound, and washed) I was not able to even find the issue that had give me such heart burn. Now, I KNOW what is an acceptable fudge-factor and what I can live with and move on.

When we work on a quilt, we are so close to it (nose to the stitches) and it is easy to lose sight of the big picture. NOBODY is going to take their quilted gift and examine it for flaws (and if they are, they don't deserve the gift). We are often way too hard on ourselves.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Essjay View Post
I've been anxious to make a "chicken" quilt for myself as well - where are you getting all of the funky block patterns - is there a site where I can buy them. Thanks.
I'm making them up as I go. There are many pictures of chicken blocks out there. I collect chickens, so many of blocks are my interpretation of the pieces I have. Also I'm including lots of other blocks..sun..moon...hearts, egg sign, barn, corn..I even made a rooster. Still a work in progress!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:35 PM

Done is better than perfect. Especially for friends. and it you dont point them out They will never see them.unless they are quilt police and i woulnt give them any quilt.With that attitude.Im just saying.cmaras1234
Old 01-29-2016, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

There really is such a thing as "good enough."