Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I was volunteered! Help!

Just sent you a pm about a red/black with some white twister that will be 48"x60". I can throw it on the frame and get it quilted for you.

Jan in MI

Sorry, I have deadlines for the TV programs. When we look beyound the deadlines, timeframes, work, lessons to be learned, and think of what the quilts will mean to our servicemen (and women), it makes it all worth while. I can't help sewing and quilting but I will keep all of you in my prayers that they come together quickly.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

wish I could help, but I am pretty slow at this. Also in the midst of making fleece blankets for kids on our Anget Tree at Xmas. I am azed when I see people write about makinb a quilt in a few days. Takes me at least a month. sigh. You folks are great to help with this project.

Hi, am new to the board. I think I can help you out with 2 green.

So far

Here are the two tops I have finished so far. The red bargello I was already doing for someone else, but that plan changed, so here I had a ready made perfectly sized top!
    Then I decided to try the 10-minute block. umm.. It takes much more than ten minutes! But in any case, I sized it down to 15 inch blocks, took my gray stash and added some teal for color. I need to finish sewing the top together and I will longarm this next week.
    I think I will do one or two more tops this weekend then spend a few hours(days?) at the longarmer!

I cant thank you all enough for the wonderful offers of help and prayers for our troops. This is truly a great group!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    i wouldnt have done it i would have told her i work full time and its alot of pressure on me i woul;d maybe donated fabric to her
    QUILTNMO

Thank you all for your offers of help. I think I have responded to all of you and I am so relieved to say that I think we have it covered!
    Please post pictures and share as you finish. I truly hope her husband can get a picture as each soldier gets his quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by QUILTNMO View Post
    i wouldnt have done it i would have told her i work full time and its alot of pressure on me i woul;d maybe donated fabric to her
    Although she has little understanding of the time involved, to say no would have disappointed the soldiers that didn't get one. That I could not do. And praise the Lord, I am getting the help I need here from many wonderful thoughtful women. Many hands make a big job go fast!

Why does it have to be in two weeks? Is that a "self-made" deadline or "did something else" dictate the deadline? What will happen if they don't get done in two weeks' time?

A cot quilt that is only 65" long isn't meant to really sleep under, right? I mean, not by itself...that's pretty short, right?

Red/black Twister quilt

This is the top that was waiting to find a home--sure am pleased it will go Military.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Why does it have to be in two weeks? Is that a "self-made" deadline or "did something else" dictate the deadline? What will happen if they don't get done in two weeks' time?

A cot quilt that is only 65" long isn't meant to really sleep under, right? I mean, not by itself...that's pretty short, right?
    The deadline is in hopes it will reach them by Christmas. And very soon, the mail will be cut off for a month or so, as it is too snowy, too cold, too winter, for the mail to be reliable over there. Although the quilts are smaller, they are that size so they fit the cots with out dragging over the edge in an unmilitary manner. They will help keep them warm, it will soon be freezing over there, if it isnt already. They do have Army issued blankets to sleep under but every layer helps in the bitter cold. But the main idea is to add color and brightness to a dreary sameness, to the dirty tan everything that is Afghanistan, to show the soldiers someone here at the states appreciates them for their bravery and for their sacrifice, to recognize them for defending our country. It hopefully will make them feel proud and loved and appreciated, and may the brightness of the quilts in their barracks add some color and joy to their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    This is the top that was waiting to find a home--sure am pleased it will go Military.
    Oh that is wonderful! Sgt Moore will love it I am sure.
    Thank you again.

how about a quillow there quick and easy to make have u thought of that pretty new with quilting but this is as a thought let me know if these will work

Well, aren't you guys just the best??? As a mom of a soldier who has been deployed to Iraq twice, I am overwhelmed by your willingness to help a fellow quilter with this wonderful project for our troops!!! I got all teary just reading this thread..... thank you all so much!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

I have a full plate myself but I can't turn down an opportunity to help. Let me see what colors I find in my stash and I will let you know by morning.

God bless for your efforts.

Denise
    Beware the SnapDragon... part of me has snapped and the other part is draggin.

By the time I read this thread, you said you had it covered. I, too, would like to say God bless all of you who are helping. I'm sitting here with tears running down my cheeks at the wonderful, loving, caring people on this board. I would have loved to have helped too. Bluelady, please do follow up and let us know how things turn out! Our servicemen and women deserve whatever we can do to brighten their days while they are protecting our Country.

Wonderful people on this board!
    Sorry I can't help. Maybe one day when my sewing becomes faster and my shoulder is more mobile and less painful.
    God bless everyone that helps, not just here on the QB but all the nice helpful people in the world.
    Last edited by JBeamer; 11-09-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJinSC View Post
    By the time I read this thread, you said you had it covered. I, too, would like to say God bless all of you who are helping. I'm sitting here with tears running down my cheeks at the wonderful, loving, caring people on this board. I would have loved to have helped too. Bluelady, please do follow up and let us know how things turn out! Our servicemen and women deserve whatever we can do to brighten their days while they are protecting our Country.
    I just hope I can get some pictures of when the quilts arrive. I will definitely share any news I get. It is such a scary time to be over there...

I am so excited to get started when I get home today. I was off at a sewing class last night and part if today. I will be home to my stash and able to sort through my Blues tonight. I have so many ideas flowing in my head, but I have to be realistic with the timeframe. Plus I will be quilting on my DSM myself! Maybe my new twister tool will get used on this one?? I feels so great about this! God bless everyone helping and those who couldn't but are supporting us with your thoughts and prayers! Thank you so very much!!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
    Sorry, I have deadlines for the TV programs. When we look beyound the deadlines, timeframes, work, lessons to be learned, and think of what the quilts will mean to our servicemen (and women), it makes it all worth while. I can't help sewing and quilting but I will keep all of you in my prayers that they come together quickly.
    Thank you for your kind words! It does look like we will get the quilts done in time! I had to put aside several other projects to get mine done, but I think I made the right choice. Hate to think that anyone of the boys would be missed.
    Your prayers are always appreciated too!

Once again, I see that the people on this quilting board are amazing when it comes to helping out. I applaud all of you. It brought tears to my eyes to see the response.....
    Marilyn

She won't learn a lesson esp if all of the quilts are done in two weeks. Next year the request could be higher. I would highly stress to her the timliness of her request was unrealistic. Is there a Quilts of Valor organization that she could make her request??? They may have inventory to spare.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

If a new Christmas 2013 project could be planned with details in full after the new year I think many of us would be able to make quilt blocks and send them in, maybe by June, without any pressure giving you plenty of time to finish the quilts for the service people. Just a thought.

And let us not forget our neighbors who are victims of 'Sandy'.
    Linda Lee

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    i have 4 tops made already you are welcome to them. they are not the colors you were asking for they are scrappy....and not the sizes but you can add to them. the sizes are 51x39....46x35....36x52....54x73. i don't know how to post pics here so if your interested please pm me with your emal addy if you want to see them
    dotti

Blog Entries
    I have done a lot of service quilts and they were strip quilts, I'm binding one right now. The strips are much faster to put together and we put the names on the quilts so they would know who they went to. Teaching my a class today and don't know if I would get time to make one.

Cookie64
    Life is great, enjoy each day as if it was your last. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast