Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I was volunteered! Help!

Blog Entries
    Here are the measurement Center panel 41" x 20 1/2" Strips around panel, side is 3 1/2" top and bottom around panel is 5 1/2" then around that would be 6" = 40 x 62 to make the size you want just add more strips.

Cookie64
    Life is great, enjoy each day as if it was your last. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

I have a strippieced snowball in all reds/whites with black/white borders, batting and backing to send to you. Sorry I can't quilt it for you but my apparatus is malfunctioning big-time. Send me your snail addy in a private email and I will get this off to you doublequick! BertieD

Blog Entries
    such wonderful giving quilters out there. Thanks ladies for all you do to help others (me including with my dolls for sick kids) Because of you children got dolls that otherwise would not have.) 123 so far.

I would love to help but 2 weeks is just not anything i can do. I am so sorry. I hope maybe some other people have tops ready to go. I definitely think you will need more time.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by eyes View Post
    If a new Christmas 2013 project could be planned with details in full after the new year I think many of us would be able to make quilt blocks and send them in, maybe by June, without any pressure giving you plenty of time to finish the quilts for the service people. '.
    Yes, yes!!!!! That would be fantastic! I'd love to help out..esp. if I could send a quilt to a place in Germany to an APO and they could mail it for free. I wonder if the American Embassy would do that. Does anyone know?

I think it is a great idea and I understand about the color thing. That is the reason I started wanting to give the Polish ladies quilts--I felt like everyone needs something pretty in their homes!

I've been thinking about this thread since I first read it. Why would anyone make a blanket 65" long for an adult male? I'm 5'4" and it would be too short for me. I want a bit under my feet and enough to pull up around my shoulders.

Who comes up with these measurements"? Even 6' would be short for most men.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I read this with tears running down my face. You ladies (men) on this board are the best. Unfortunately I can't helpnthis time, but will be more than willing in the future to help. God bless you all.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    I've been thinking about this thread since I first read it. Why would anyone make a blanket 65" long for an adult male? I'm 5'4" and it would be too short for me. I want a bit under my feet and enough to pull up around my shoulders.

For many of us, 45 x 65 is a lap size or crib size quilt.

For what I call couch quilts - some people in my household tend to fall asleep on the couch - I like at least 65 x 85 - actually 70 x 90 works out quite well. I'm short - 5'3" - and I like to be covered from end to end - and when it's chilly, I even like to have it almost all the way over my head.

Sounds like you have this covered. I just finished up 19 baby Christmas quilts that I started 3 weeks ago. Fortunately I had a couple friends help me get the bindings on this weekend. I am washing them to turn in Tuesday morning. I probably could have help you out.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

God love her, her heart was/is in the right place. And bless you and all your helpers in your quest.
    ABCDEFG

Reading through this I was thinking I could donate the brown/blue quilt I was going to give to my dh for Christmas but it sounds like you have it all worked out now. PM me if you decide you want it. It still needs to be quilted and bound.

Just saw your post tonight. If I can help, I know time maybe to late now, but if I can I would.
    I have a mid-arm quilting machine, I'm not the best at it, but I'm not the worst either. ( or at least I Like to think so).
    Good luck and PM if I can help!
    Country 1

It is the military that came up with the measurements. The quilt is to be a cot cover, it cannot hang down over the edges. Their blankets have to be tucked in all around their cot and the quilt could go on top. Again, these quilts are designed to help provide warmth but more importantly they are for the boys moral, to provide color and cheer, to show them our appreciation, to let them know they are not forgotten.
    So in order to comply with military requirements on the beds being made in a proper fashion, nothing can hang down over the edges. Therefore the sizes of the quilts need to fall into the guidelines given.
    Thank you again for everyone's help in getting these quilts out. God bless.

Plus, I think if anything hangs over edge of the beds, it makes it easier for weird spiders and other nasty bugs to hide out...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelady View Post
    It is the military that came up with the measurements. The quilt is to be a cot cover, it cannot hang down over the edges. Their blankets have to be tucked in all around their cot and the quilt could go on top. Again, these quilts are designed to help provide warmth but more importantly they are for the boys moral, to provide color and cheer, to show them our appreciation, to let them know they are not forgotten.
    So in order to comply with military requirements on the beds being made in a proper fashion, nothing can hang down over the edges. Therefore the sizes of the quilts need to fall into the guidelines given.
    Thank you again for everyone's help in getting these quilts out. God bless.
    I can understand nothing hanging over the edges, but 65" won't even touch the toes.
    U N T I E

Please tell me we are not expecting our soldiers to sleep on cots less than 6' long.
    U N T I E

Please tell me we are not expecting our soldiers to sleep on cots less than 6' long.
    The military's regulations must be followed or the quilts cannot be used, which would be a waste of everyone's time and talents.

No one mentioned the soldier's sleeping on too small cots.
    Linda Lee

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

Please tell me we are not expecting our soldiers to sleep on cots less than 6' long

This made me LOL!
    Last edited by justflyingin; 11-11-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Can this deadline be pushed back a few weeks? To give everyone involved the time to complete the projects without stressing out about it.One thing I have learned being a disabled person, is that sometimes a person simply can't get everything done as we would wish. As you say, in your post, your former DIL just decided to do this, why the short deadline. My advice, do what you can, but, don't wear yourself out in the process. Good luck!

The military's regulations must be followed or the quilts cannot be used, which would be a waste of everyone's time and talents.

So all the other families who have sent real quilts to their soldiers have had to give them up? Why make a quilt that only covers a portion of a cot? I read between the lines. If 6' hangs over, then the cot is smaller than 6'
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    My top is done! Now to sandwich and quilt. Hope to have it in the mail on Tuesday. Will post photo when done! Gotta Go!!!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

My quilt is coming along but it's turning out 5" larger than the size asked for on length and width!! Frustrating especially since I didn't do borders. I could cut the block sizes down I guess. I wanted it to be nice and not something that looked like I threw it together, so I used smaller blocks than 9". I just got started today since I was out of town this weekend and will have the top done tomorrow. Do you think that 50x70 will be bad? I even checked with my own soldier husband and said it would be ok. But I want to keep it straight since I would be greatly disappointed if they didn't let him keep it.

Scratch my last post. I had brain drain and counted wrong. Right now w/o borders it is 50x60--DUH! So I'm thinking to add just top and bottom borders to get to the 65" or maybe I'll take it up to 70 w/ 5" top and bottom borders? Not too sure. I really hope he likes this!!!

So all the other families who have sent real quilts to their soldiers have had to give them up? Why make a quilt that only covers a portion of a cot? I read between the lines. If 6' hangs over, then the cot is smaller than 6'
    The soldiers are given the bedding they need in the barricks and it must be used so it is all the same just as their uniforms. Be happy they are allowed to have a small quilt on their cot to remind them they are not forgotten by their families and friends back home. Love is not measured in the length of the quilt.
    Linda Lee

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

Blog Entries
    DONE!!! (well, except for the label.....) and it won't win any awards at Paducah, but that's gotta be the fastest finish time on a quilt for me. It will be in the mail tomorrow!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast