Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I wanna sewing table!!!! >

I wanna sewing table!!!!

I wanna sewing table!!!!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
My friend just bought this one. She likes it. Shop around, I did see it on sale once. http://www.wayfair.com/Sauder-Sewing...FeaDQgody2oA2Q
That is the one I have plus by office chair from Costco with no arms. Love both of them!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:55 AM

A few years ago I got a folding table on sale at JoAnn's for $50. It is about 3 feet wide and 5 feet long, but fold down to 3 by 1 foot and made of that white board that is a composite, not wood (like you see at home depot type places). There was a lot of criticism about it because the swing out legs didn't stay in their little slots, but I put little squares of industrial velcro on the tops of the legs and inside the holding place. I liked it so much and DH thought they were great (he got our table back to eat on) that he bought me 3 more! They are higher than a dining table and are so much easier on my back! I used to have a lot of back aches while sewing and because this one is higher it is much easier on the back. I like my sewing machine high so I don't have to stoop (none of this 90 degree angle for my arms for me!) Also, I can put a 10x6' quilt on these 4 tables, or arrange them so I have one w/the sewing machine on it, one slightly behind to the left for the bulk of fabric (big quilt) and one in front to let the finished part of my sewing slide away. I am constantly changing the configuration of those tables according to my needs. I've had them about 10 years now and wouldn't trade them for anything!

Last edited by Sierra; 09-22-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 AM

I really like these!!!

http://www.arrowcabinets.com/
Old 09-22-2012, 08:41 AM

I think buying a sewing table is an investment because a good one is not cheap - so depending on your budget - these are the features that I would want- you need to have a machine lift so you machine is level with the table (usually involves a plastic insert). Storage space for notions and can close up for a neat look. I bought a put together table for around $500 which workes pretty well. My next table will be a cutting table as well as a sewing table - now I cut on my dinning room table and my back does not like it. One good brand is Horn but there are a number - they are not cheap!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 AM

If you use an embroidery machine, forget setting it down inside the table. And if you are versatile and do more than plain quilts you want your serger close and your straight stitch machine also. I think a U shaped arrangement would be the best in the world.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
Check out your local Goodwill, Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity for a decent kitchen table, preferably square or rectangle. Cut a hole the size of your machine where you want to sit. Build a box, attach on the bottom side to hold your machine (be sure to cut a hole for the cords). Add risers and you've got a very inexpensive sewing table.
I'm with Joyce!!! I had an old formica topped kitchen table with leaves..quilts slide like a dream on formica!! Had a guy cut out the hole and make a box for my machine..looks great and is just perfect for me! I prefer to pinch my pennies where I can, so that I have more money for fabric!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Check the resale shops, theres a lot of tables that can be used for a sewing table. Depending on the room you have, a small kitchen table would work. I have my mother in laws old singer cabinet, with a piece of glass on top of it. I placed my embroidery machine on this 'table' and it works great. Buying a 'sewing table' will cost more.
The possibilities are endless, just start looking around. Know the size you want, and the height you need.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Smile Make your own perfect sewing table

Go to Office Max and buy a "personal table" (looks a little like a cocktail table but it has adjustable heights). Next go to Home Depot and buy an 18 x 24" 1/4" thick sheet of clear acrylic. I have made about 6 of these for myself and friends. Here's how: (If you have the tools, its easy to do it yourself and if you don't have the tools, find a friend that has them and here's what to do..... Counter sink holes for seven wood screws. Drill through the countersinks to accomodate the screws. Cut off 3/4" dowel rod at 3 1/2" lengths. (Cut 7). Purchase seven cheap white plastic tips for the dowel rods. To cut the opening you'llneed for your machine, lay the acrylic over the arm of the machine and mark where to cut with a permanent marker. Now you or your handyperson can cut the acrylic sheet opening using a jigsaw or a band saw. Also "round off" the four corners of the sheet with either the jigsaw or the bandsaw. Adjust the sheet so it fits the neck of your machine. Now attach the "legs" with wood screws. Now double check the height of the table to the neck of your machine. If it needs to go a little higher, I use pennies inside the caps to make the adjustment of the legs. Of course, if the legs are to long, you'll want to just cut them shorter. This makes an awesome sewing table that is wonderful. Now if you want a really large sewing table, Go to Amazon.com and buy 1, 2, or 3 2 ft x 4 ft adjustable height, folding tables and you will have a set up that will accomodate even a California king quilt for sewing on your domestic machine. Best of all, this is all portable and easily moved to wherever you need it. I had researched sewing tables, sewing cabinets, and everything in between. I came up with this combination and absolutely love it. I have four machines and I made acrylic tables for all of them. They each have their own "personal table" and when I need the super large work surface, I move the whole shebang into my family room and set up the folding tables around the machine wherever I need the support for the quilt. Good Luck and "Enjoy!"
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 AM

I have to enter here. My first sewing table was a TV tray. Yes, the old metal ones. I sewed on that for years. Now I have one of the regular sewing cabinets. Can't think of the name right now. But it is nice.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:00 PM

This is my sewing table, its a Horn Quiltmate. I love all the room it has. It's 39"x60" when its opened fully out. It has a plexiglass insert that fits your machine's free arm and allows the machine to sit flush with table. I am a machine quilter. I have 4 machines that share this cabinet, just change out the insert. I've had my cabinet for about 12 years. the URL shows my cabinet.
Sharon W.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719kFeKjn